Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Daughter doesn't like cow's milk

Default Daughter doesn't like cow's milk

She just turned 1 and I'm hoping to get her used to drinking cow's milk because I'm SICK of pumping at work. At first she seemed to like it OK, but now no luck. She drinks juice so I'm not worried about her getting dehydrated, but I know she needs the fats and calcium that are moste easily gotten thru milk. Any ideas? Any alternatives that I might try? She likes cheese and yogurt...would it accomplish the same things to give her more of those throughout the day?

Default Re: Daughter doesn't like cow's milk

does she nurse any? My kids don't sit down a drink a big glass but I do use it when I cook.
    many kids don't like cows milk and that's ok.. it's not needed in our diet.
    yougart and cheese are just as good.

Yes she still nurses a.m. and p.m. and a couple of times overnight. I'm just hoping to wean soon and want to be sure she's getting everything she needs...

Like the PP said, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, etc. are also good ways to get calcium and fat. Fortified soy, rice, and almond milks are good sources of calcium, too. You may want to seek vegan information. It'd probably give you good information about how to make sure your child has proper nutrition w/o drinking cows milk.

My DS2 doesn't like cow's milk but YoBaby makes a drinkable yogurt and he'll guzzle it like there is no tomorrow. Maybe that would work for you?
    Jennifer
    Wife to my Marine
    Crunchy mom to my wonderful boys
    Michael 6/02 c-sec
    Willem 1/05 c-sec
    Gavin 6/07 amazing water homebirth VBAC

So long as she's nursing at least 3-4 times in 24 hours, she does not need any other source of fat, protein, or calcium.

You could stop pumping at work and just nurse her when you are together. Don't worry about getting her to drink cow's milk for now. If she nurses less than 3 times one day, be sure she gets a serving of cheese or yogurt that day. In a couple of months she might be more receptive to the idea of drinking cow's milk.

I don't blame your daughter for not liking cow's milk. It's a poor, watery substitute for what she's used to! Goat's milk is a fantastic alternative and is widely available now. ( However its best if you can find a goat farmer near you!! ) She's less likely to have stomach upset from goat milk and it tastes stronger too. Get a little pint of it or something and see how she likes it.