Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pregnant and wanting to BF after awful BFing experience!!

Default Re: Pregnant and wanting to BF after awful BFing experience!!

Just wanted to say pre-congratulations on the new baby (Nov 6 is a great birthday, IMHO!) and on bfing this time around. I had all kinds of problems with my first and gave up early too. But I am still happily nursing my 2nd at 15 months. You can do it too! All of the books mentioned by pp are great resources, and if you can, get yourself to an LLL meeting. I was nervous going with I was pg with DS because I thought they would not welcome me due to my past failures, but it was really helpful. LLL leaders have the most up-to-date and practical breastfeeding info and really know how to help new moms with all sorts of problems.
    Good luck!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

Quote Originally Posted by meohmy View Post
    but those first few weeks...toe-curling, take your breath away, tears streaming down your face bloody pain. d
    THIS is NOT normal!!!! It is normal; however, for there to be some discomfort at first when baby latches on and in the first few weeks...gotta remember, you haven't used your breast in this way for a while! But, if it is pain like described by meohmy, then the latch/positioning are probably definitely wrong!!! I agree with Momma1, see an LC!! Latch and positioning are normally very easy to fix!! Also, be sure to let nurses know that you WILL be breastfeeding. You want to stay away from the bottle for the first 4-6 weeks. If not, the baby may get nipple confusion or nipple preference and refuse the breast or latch on improperly! HTH
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

It sounds like your babies aren't latching on properly in the first place, the baby's bottom lip has to be curled down over onto the breast and baby has to have most of the lower nipple outside surrounding area in the lower part of the mouth. Only seeing the baby's ears moving is a good sign of being latched on properly and after the milk let-down having a shot pause between sucks is good sign too.
    Sometimes we get too caught up in what the latch looks like from the outside. If the latch is comfortable for mom and baby and baby is transferring milk well, then we don't need to fiddle with it too much.

OP: I suggest you buy a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and start attending LLL meetings now. Once your baby is born, if you can't get the help you need from the hospital, you'll have a LLL Leader that you can call for help and resources.

Good luck!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hello, my first I nursed exclusively until the age of two give or take a few months he went from breast to cup no bottle or pacifier it was the best experience. My second not so good--I had mastitis twice in one month and his latching is a hit or miss deal. I know every child is diffrent but I had no idea and was not expecting for my nursing experiece to be as bad as it is. Nursing was the next best thing I was looking forward to with the exception of meeting my little one face to face.

I too had the cracking, the drying, the flaking, the itching and the lansinoh or the lanolin that I got from the hospital did not help the pain and eventually I had a mini breakdown at my kitchen table before I called my husband to tell him I was going to rent a pump as well as see a lactation consultant which all of this has cost me $$$$ mucho deneiro. I feel bad because I had to supplement formula but I am still praying that I can go back to nurse exclusively.

This is an excellent site for encouragement and I say stay encouraged and know that we understand your pain. Also check your local chapter of Le Leche for hands on help http://www.llli.org/WebUS.html .
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

I was told by my OB/GYN that wet tea bags against your nipples will help toughen them up, so I did that for about an hour a day before giving birth. Then lanolin after EVERY feeding and we did okay. Some soreness certainly, but no bleeding. Hope this helps! You can do it!!!!