Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant and wanting to BF after awful BFing experience!!

Exclamation Pregnant and wanting to BF after awful BFing experience!!

Hey everyone. Just need some support from fellow BFers. I am currently 36 weeks pregnant with my sixth baby and am planning to BF. I only BFed one of my other children and gave up after 11 days b/c of cracked and bleeding nipples, excrutiating pain, blocked milk ducts, and eventually mastitis. The local hospital at that time was no support and said I was just dramatizing the pain. Believe me, there was no drama! It plain hurt. I couldn't even stand the feeling of my bra against my breasts. After my baby boy had a ring of blood around his mouth after a feeding, I gave up. My DH and I have decided since this is our last child, we should try it again. I am looking for any bit of advice to help me before and after I have the baby. I'm also looking for any products or books anyone could recommend. I am due to be induced on Nov. 6! Any and all help would be appreciated. I'm really worried I will fail again!

Default Re: Pregnant and wanting to BF after awful BFing experience!!

Will that be the same hospital this time?

I gave up with DS and DD1 very early on too, but so far we've reached 12 weeks with DD2. Lanolin is a wonderful thing, I started using it before I had DD2 (it does stain, so I put on breast pads to protect my bras from having huge stains on them). Many moms here can understand the pain you were in before.

Good for you for trying to find out info ahead of time! And pre-grats on that new LO!

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

i don't have any advice because i don't know anything about it but dh and i want to EBF this little one and i haven't done that before so i am right there with you!

have you read any books. the womanly are of breastfeeding is a great resource. this forum is an excellent source as well when you have an immediate question.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Believe me, I know exactly how awful the pain of cracked nipples is, and I completely understand why you would quit breastfeeding after going through it! It's great that you're planning to give it another try.

The thing that helped me the most when I had cracked and bleeding nipples was seeing a lactation consultant. Actually, I saw two different consultants, each of whom showed me different tricks to deal with the pain and to fix a very bad latch. One of the LCs also rented a hospital-grade pump ($2 per day) so I could pump at the times when I was just in too much pain to nurse. Go see the LC- there's nothing like hands-on help!

I wish you all the best this time around!

oh, i soooooooooo know where you were...i had the same experieince. took us about 6 weeks to 2 months to have it be relativley comfortable. i don't think i nursed without some sort of pain until about 6 mos...from then on it was easy til 16.5 mos and the most worthwhile experience.

but those first few weeks...toe-curling, take your breath away, tears streaming down your face bloody pain. during that stage, the ONLY thing that helped me dr jack newman's all purpose nipple ointment. has powered advil in the mix ( ibuprofen) that gives instant pain relief. it literally saved our breastfeeding. you do'nt have to wash it off before babe feeds and i think if you go to his website, you can download the rx and get your doc or lc to call it in.

AFTER that , i reccomend lanolin to heal the cracks. i should have slathered that on waaaaaaaaay sooner than i did and left the girls out in the air and i would have felt better so much sooner. it took a couple days, but after the initial first couple hours of being uncovered, i felt soo much better.

good luck.
    meohmy

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Go out and buy lanolin!! that stuff just rocks! I didnt use it at all with my first and my nips were AWFUL! Number 2 I discovered it and I was way better off.
    I think a lot of it is just deciding that you ARE going to do it.
    With my first I though it was all natural She hates food, still does.
    Needless to say I pumped until my milk went down hill and she took that out of a bottle. #2 liked food and still does But at 4 months he had gained very poorly. He hated sucking when nothing was there. He was to busy lol.
    In my sleep deprived haze I convinced myself I just didnt have enough milk and I stoped nursing him at around 6 months because formula was easier.
    With this one, I gave away all formula samples. I dont want the stuff.
    Just set your mind to it. Pour over anything and everything to do with bfing.
    Online, books, go to your library. Ours has a few videos that show different holds and all kinds of nifty stuff. You CAN do it. Its what those things were made for. Sure some days we feel like a but hey, its worth it

Thumbs up Re: Pregnant and wanting to BF after awful BFing experience!!

I haven't had much experience with painfull nipples, because I used these 'Avent' hollow breastcups; these are plastic cups with a soft hole in the middle for your nipple to go in, they go inside your bra. The idea of these is to prevent your nipples from touching anything and let the air do the healing, they also help with engorged breasts by taking collecting some of the excess milk into the cup.

I swear that these helped me to win the breastfeeding battle. I also find sleeping topless on an old towel at night helps the nipples too.

It sounds like your babies aren't latching on properly in the first place, the baby's bottom lip has to be curled down over onto the breast and baby has to have most of the lower nipple outside surrounding area in the lower part of the mouth. Only seeing the baby's ears moving is a good sign of being latched on properly and after the milk let-down having a shot pause between sucks is good sign too. Remember feed,feed and feed, there's no time routine at all when it comes to breastfeeding, you do this so your breasts won't get blocked up and develop mastis and you can keep up with your baby's growth spurts.

Is there any breastfeeding clubs and classes you can go to in your area? These will make it very easy for you to succeed.

Good luck

I also had a cracked nipple and was very sore when I first started BFing. Buy some Lanolin now and start applying it to your nipples. Use a glob on each nipple not just a little. That stuff works miracles and when your LO latches and it hurts-- break the latch and try again, even if you break that latch 10 times a feeding. Also let your nipples air dry after every feeding and then apply the Lanolin. If they don't air dry first then you trap moisture in with the cream. Don't give up!! When mine was sore I gave it a break and pumped on that side for 1 day and babied that nipple. Congratulations on your upcoming arrival and I hope everything goes better this time. Trust your instincts. If it hurts for more than a few seconds when your LO latches, something is not right and break that latch. Good Luck!

i really like dr. sears' "the breastfeeding book"

and i also liked this dvd i got from dr. jack newman's web site on breastfeeding....it was really helpful.