Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oh, what to do?

Default Oh, what to do?

Help! I have been EBF for 4 mos. I work 3 days a week and pump on those days. Everything had been going good up until about a few weeks ago when I started to notice a change in my milk supply. I started doing all of the suggestions to increase milk supply. Taking fenugreek, mother's milk tea, eating oatmeal every morning for breakfast, I set my alarm for the middle of the night for extra pumping sessions. I use my days off to snuggle and offer the breast often. I was BARELY keeping up with my LO's needs when at 3.5 mos he started teething. Even with Tylenol on the days his teeth hurt he will try to nurse but then scream from the pressure on his gums. I then have to pump and give him a bottle of milk I have pumped. Of course my pump is not as efficient as my LO, so it is not getting as much out, therefore, depleting my milk even more. He is still teething on and off. I am starting to get so incredibly stressed out with the thought of starting to supplement with formula (I, like most mom's, wanted to avoid formula all together). I know the stress is also a contributing factor, but I have so much worry about it. I am at the point that I feel like I should pump and nurse what I can and use the supplement just when he still seems hungry or I don't have enough pumped milk to provide while I am gone. I am definetly feeling like I have failed in this area, but I almost feel like I would be a better mom if I wasn't so stressed about it. My family is very supportive of either choice. Any advice, thoughts or suggestions?

Default Re: Oh, what to do?

How often do you pump when at work? Try increasing your pump frequency to every 2 hrs if you can. Even if it's only for 10-15 min. That helped me. Your LO maybe going through a growth spurt too & needing more during this time. Just when you think you're going to lose it, your body seems to adjust. I went from 4oz EBM to 6oz overnight w/my LO. When I started pumping more freq, my supply seemed to catch up.

If you need to supplement, then do it. You're not a failure...you're just trying to feed your child. Formula is not poison & if you are supplementing, your child is getting your BM too.

Just be sure if you do supp, pump when you give the bottle to help keep up your supply. I'm on the oatmeal everyday but also be sure you are drinking enough H20 and eating properly. I find that when my diet is less nutritious, I don't produce as well.

I'm a FT working mom (my DH is a SAHD 3x/wk) & it's hard to do but I just keep going. You can do it. Get some rest & start again tomorrow!