Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is My Milk Okay? And is it in?

Default Is My Milk Okay? And is it in?

Hi-I gave birth on late Sunday night. Yesterday (Thursday) my left breast seemed engorged (hard and gigantic) while my right breast stayed softer (although both were huge). The engorged breast seemed to be leaking milk from the areola. Today I made and effort to nurse frequently from both breasts; however while there is a more milk like substance coming from both nipples (and both breasts are much softer), nothing seems to be coming out of either areola now. Is this something to be concerned about (did I "lose" the milk or missed an opportunity to have an adequate supply) or is my body just sorting out a feeding rhythm? Has anyone else experienced this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.-losing even more sleep from worrying!

Default Re: Is My Milk Okay? And is it in?

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your new little one!!! and :

I wouldn't say that you've lost your milk. It sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep nursing your LO often, at least 8-12x in a 24 hour period. I wouldn't go more than 3 hours (4 hours max) during the day between feedings.

If you keep nursing on cue, your milk should be fine. Your baby is getting enough when he/she wets 5-6 disposable diapers and soils 2-3x/day. That is how you know your milk supply is enough. If baby is happy and nursing well, then I wouldn't worry at all!

Again, congrats
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I also want to congratulate you on the birth and also on your decision to nurse. This is a really tough time, especially for first-timers. Remember, it gets easier!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLisa View Post
    The engorged breast seemed to be leaking milk from the areola.
    I haven't heard of this before, milk coming from the areola ...? It comes from the nipple, but sometimes in more than one stream. Maybe someone else knows more about this.

- I almost never, ever leak milk between feedings, even during the early months. Not leaking isn't something to be worried about.

- Sometimes in the shower, I would squeeze a couple of drops of milk out of the nipple. This always reassured me that, yes, there's milk in there! You actually push on the areola, several inches away from the nipple. This compresses the sinuses that hold the milk, which then ejects out of the nipple.

- Another cool sign that there really is milk in there is to see milk dribble out of your little one's mouth after nursing!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLisa View Post
    Is this something to be concerned about (did I "lose" the milk or missed an opportunity to have an adequate supply) or is my body just sorting out a feeding rhythm?
    It takes at least 6 weeks for your body to build up a milk supply. That milk supply is precious! I what ShilohsMom said: Nurse at least 8 to 12 times per 24 hours, as often as your baby wants and for as long as he wants. Otherwise, your milk supply will suffer. Been there.

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    Your baby is getting enough when he/she wets 5-6 disposable diapers and soils 2-3x/day. That is how you know your milk supply is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    If baby is happy and nursing well, then I wouldn't worry at all!
    I would just add a reminder that a fussy baby is not necessarily a hungry baby. In my experience, babies are just really fussy creatures from about 3 weeks to 3 months. They want to nurse all the time. This is just nature's way of getting your body to produce the milk that your growing baby will be needing in the future. A fussy baby is not necessarily hungry, but very much needs to nurse.

Good luck! Keep at it!

Here's a post with lots of different women's experience with milk coming in:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=34578&

My son is almost 8 months old and I still leak milk out of my areola sometimes. I leaked all the time in the early stages as well, sometimes I would have letdown 2x/hour even when baby wasn't nursing

I'm sure you're doing everything just right. ShilohsMom pretty much said everything important so I have nothing to add there. Just wanted you to know that the areola thing isn't anything to worry about. It is funny though when you baby is older and get so excited to nurse that they grab really hard on your breast and shoot themselves in the eye with your "extra" milk holes

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Cool Re: Is My Milk Okay? And is it in?

Quote Originally Posted by amymarie View Post
    It is funny though when you baby is older and get so excited to nurse that they grab really hard on your breast and shoot themselves in the eye with your "extra" milk holes
    It's even funnier when ur significant other grabs them, playing around, and gets shot in the forehead and eye That's what he gets for playing with DS food
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987