Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: why does let down hurt soo bad

Default why does let down hurt soo bad

i have 3 kids one is 3 16 months and 3 weeks old but i am breastfeeding but when i have let down it hurts soo bad it hurts under my arm pits and my daughter has a hard time latching on and i pump all of the time i have so much milk stored i have enough for another baby help

Default Re: why does let down hurt soo bad

Sounds like it may be OALD (overactive letdown). I don't have much experience with this though...hopefully someone will come along and offer some advice! Hang in there! I'll check back soon!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Um....just occurred to me...how long are you pumping and why? If you are pumping a lot, this is going to send a signal to your brain to produce MORE milk! Your lo is only 3 weeks, so if you want to just relieve the pressure from your breasts, you don't want to "near" empty them because this will just tell you body to make more milk than you need at this point! How often are you feeding your lo?
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

i nurse her ever couple of hours and after she nurses about 15 to 20 min. on each side i still feel full so i pump and i get about 5 oz out of each side

Here's some really good information about what you are experiencing. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html It's really important that you start tapering off when the pumping so your breasts get the message not to make so much milk. You probably won't be able to stop pumping all together right away, but start focusing on just pumping until you are a bit more comfortable.

Just nursing off of one breast at a time will help that one to get more emptied. The other one will probably get engorged when you first start doing this, but you can pump a bit to help with that. Eventually it helps to even things out. Be sure to alternate which breast you start with each time when you do this.

Hang in there! I know it is miserable right now, but this is a fixable problem!

Let down can hurt some women more than others. It gets better as time passes! Mine was a little painful for a while but I can't even feel it now.
    To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves - there lies the great, singular power of self-respect. ~Joan Didion