Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When can I start demand feedings?

Default When can I start demand feedings?

Hi! My daughter is 17 days old. Her birth weight was 7 pounds and on day 13, she was 7 pounds 7 oz. My pediatrician said at that time I could start demand feedings. The lactation consultant I have been working with said to wait until three weeks. My daughter loves her sleep and has gradually been waking up more to eat, but I still have to wake her about half the time, if not more. I don't let her go more than three hours between feedings during the day and four hours at night. I'm not sure I feel comfortable going longer than this at this young age. She eats anywhere from 8 to 10 times each day. She is having great wet and poopy diapers and becomes alert when I wake her up. Everything else is developmentally good.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you!
    Jen

Default Re: When can I start demand feedings?

I think the rule of thumb is usually that once they're regained birth weight, have good diaper output, and seem content, it's ok to let them sleep and feed on demand. Your DD will let you know when she's hungry (I promise!) and you'll enjoy the extra sleep/free time when you get it! Also, as she gets a little older she will stay awake longer and you won't have to worry about it too much. HTH!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Go with your gut! A Mama's intuition is a pretty powerful thing!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Go with your gut! A Mama's intuition is a pretty powerful thing!

And I say don't fix what's not broken... seems like she's thriving!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post

And I say don't fix what's not broken... seems like she's thriving!
    Yes. I should have said that too. The general "rule" just means that you can feel comfortable letting your LO sleep and nurse on demand if it feels right to you. If it doesn't, then keep doing what you're doing. Trust your instincts!

I agree with going with your gut, but I was also told once they regain their birth weight to let them sleep, as if they are hungry they will wake up. Just make sure that you don't let her go longer then 3 hours during the day. My DD started sleeping through the night just before 3 weeks, I think the first time was two weeks and then she was more consistant at about 3 weeks. If your worried then wake her up, but as long as she is gaining and having wet diapers you can let her sleep if you like. She may start to wake up again when she hits a growth spurt. So you may want to enjoy the sleep while you can

Congrats on the birth of you daughter
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

Thank you all for your input! I think for now I will continue to watch the clock a little, but hopefully, within the next couple weeks, I'll feel more comfortable letting her sleep more (I'd appreciate the extra sleep, too!!). She was just sooooo sleepy the first week and a half that I think I'm over-paranoid about it now. I'm afraid if I don't wake her she'll want to eat less than 8 times a day. Would that be bad at this point?

Thanks again for all your help!
    Jen

Once they've regained birth weight, it's not so much about watching the clock or how many times they eat. As long as your LO is still gaining well, having good diaper output, and seeming content (not hungry), then she's getting enough. Haley sometimes eats lots of quick meals and sometimes eats fewer but bigger meals. I don't worry about how many actual feedings there are as long as everything else seems ok. But again, go with your gut!