Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst. Pumping. Experience. Ever. - Pumping While Traveling

Default Re: Worst. Pumping. Experience. Ever. - Pumping While Traveling

Knowing me, I probably would have said a word or two to those people!!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Exclamation Re: Worst. Pumping. Experience. Ever. - Pumping While Traveling

Hello,

I'm about to take my first weekend away (I'm in a wedding and I'm the only one going due to costs) and I actually called the airline to see "if" they will allow me to carry on my pump. They said I could if I had a doctors note for a "medical condition". Can you believe that? I'm sad as well cause I will have to pump and dump all weekend because I am not allowed to bring the milk back with me "with out my child in tow" they said. I am so upset about this but will have to get over it. Any suggestion about how to handle things at the airport. I'm flying out of Denver to Milwaukee. What airport were you at?

Hailey and Wyatt's Mommy, I would write to the airline and complain! Why on earth would you need the milk if you had your child in tow!!! Surely you could just nurse if that were the case. Could you seal it really well and put it in with your luggage?

I was thinking about doing that. Using bottles and putting it in my luggage inside of some freezer bags just in case. Do you think that would be okay with the pressure?

I want to write them but I'm doing some more research first. Why should I have to have a note from my Dr to even take my breast pump on the plane with me as well? I don't trust it in my luggage and plus if I get delayed I will need it!!

Ideas?

Is there any chance you could pump and ship it to yourself using dry ice? I don't know what that would cost, but at least you wouldn't have to dump.

or freeze in the hotel room and then check it in your baggage? I sometimes do that-- pack it in a soft-sided cooler and wrap that in several plastic bags.
    Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.

I didn't have a note stating that I had a "medical condition", and I was able to make through security with little problem. If they needed proof of my "condition" I was more than ready to squirt anyone in the eye who dared to challenge me.

The TSA has relaxed its requirements for nursing and bottle-feeding mothers, so you can carry milk in any amounts onto the plane. I have NO idea if cold packs, ice, or even dry ice are legal to make it through security. I remember reading on another thread something about how this is a grey area.

I flew from IAH (Houston) to LAS (Las Vegas).

Ashley
    Proud mommy to Michael Evan born May 11, 2007.