Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst. Pumping. Experience. Ever. - Pumping While Traveling

Default Worst. Pumping. Experience. Ever. - Pumping While Traveling

A couple of weeks ago, I went on a short trip and could not take my son with me. I took the breast pump with me on the plane because I knew that I'd have to pump while on the plane and would probably feel miserable if I waited until I'd reached my destination.

The pump was checked by security, and it was a bit uncomfortable when the TSA employee at the scanner said very audibly, "We have a breast pump." I shrugged it off and went on my merry way.

During my flight, I waited until beverage service was over to go relieve my breasts in the bathroom. I excused myself to the lavatory and waited in line. Apparently, the only other lavatory for coach passengers was completely out of service. I asked one of the flight attendants if I could sit in there and pump. She would not allow it and was actually quite rude about it. She waved her hands around as she said, "There is something on the floor, and I don't know what it is." Okay. So at least I asked.

I took 10 minutes in the bathroom while I pumped AND peed. I was trying to take care of things as quickly as possible. My first full-on dump was rather emotional for me, but since I had no way to properly store the milk or sanitize the parts, I had very little choice. When I opened the door from the lavatory, there was a long line of very impatient passengers who all gave me dirty looks and muttered things under their breath as I made my way back to my seat. I felt *this* tall. I went back to my seat and cried. I'd never felt so alone or so misunderstood as a breastfeeding and pumping mom.

Thankfully, my return flight home was much more relaxed, and I got to have a lavatory all to myself without a cross word or huff of impatience from anyone.

Experiences like this further add to my frustration about how very little the general public knows or cares about breastfeeding. I'm very grateful that my little guy picked up right where we left off, and we've maintained a wonderful breastfeeding relationship since.

Ashley
    Proud mommy to Michael Evan born May 11, 2007.

Default Re: Worst. Pumping. Experience. Ever. - Pumping While Traveling

that's so upsetting. sorry you had to go through that! i was almost in the same boat (or plane should i say) my dh and i are going away thursday-sunday. but!!!! i just found out my lo can now come with us! yippee!

Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Very stressful and upsetting situation to be in, just remember it shows your absolute dedication to your LO. Give yourself a big pat on the back. Keep it in the back of your mind the next time you hear someone 'nag' about how hard it was to pump so they quit, or how they wanted to go out with their friends and couldn't find the time to pump so decided to quit. Mom's like you and what you were willing to do set a great example for those who will try later.

BTW, one of the saddest comments ever made to me was on a flight. I was sitting next to a woman and across the isle was a mom with her probably 9 month old baby. The baby did wonderful on the flight, but I was sitting next to a woman who apparently hated when people traveled with their kids. So the women next to me turns and says loudly "God, kids on a flight, aren't you glad that baby isn't yours." I got teary eyed, the woman had no idea why and I said, "I guess it all depends on your perspective". I had just found out about 3 days before that my husband and I were supposedly infertile and no advanced procedures (IUI, in vitro, etc.) would correct the problem. People are just so rude anymore, and flying and stressful situations just give people a license to be rude idiots. Anyway, I digress.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

When I flew out here for my interview I had a heck of a time... I would basically duck into a bathroom about a half hour before boarding for each of my flights because I knew I'd have problems like this and wanted to avoid it all together.

Because of delays and such though... my god when we go to our destination my breasts were SO FULL I pumped over 15oz out of them combined. I was in SUCH pain it wasn't even funny.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

3kidsMommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by LunaticLibrarian View Post

BTW, one of the saddest comments ever made to me was on a flight. I was sitting next to a woman and across the isle was a mom with her probably 9 month old baby. The baby did wonderful on the flight, but I was sitting next to a woman who apparently hated when people traveled with their kids. So the women next to me turns and says loudly "God, kids on a flight, aren't you glad that baby isn't yours." I got teary eyed, the woman had no idea why and I said, "I guess it all depends on your perspective". I had just found out about 3 days before that my husband and I were supposedly infertile and no advanced procedures (IUI, in vitro, etc.) would correct the problem. People are just so rude anymore, and flying and stressful situations just give people a license to be rude idiots. Anyway, I digress.
    That just shows you how little people honestly "cherish" children. Most people act like they are some inconvience rather than the greatest gift we could ever have! Its sad.
    Wtg, on pumping for yor lo though! So sorry you had to pump and dump, that sucks.

Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.

I was quite pleased with our first flight experience. The attendant suggested pumping in the seat because it would be far more comfortable that hiding in the washroom.

You're dedicated. I would have just endured the engorgement and pumped like mad at my destination's airport bathroom. There is barely enough room for me to wash my hands in those little plane bathrooms, let alone pump.

And please--I''ve waited longer than 10 minutes to use those crudy bathrooms. What did they have to grumble about!!!