Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: warming up BM

Default warming up BM

hello everybody, i was planning to have DH to bottlefeed DS on monday evening (I AM GOING OUT, ) and was wondering, since I've never done it before, how to warm up the milk: I know you should do it putting the bottle in warm water, but how will he know when temperature is ok? I mean, I can tell with the well known drop on the inside of the wrist, but he won't be able to tell, that way...
    and how will he avoid to overheat the milk (I have read that this can damage its proteins/nutrients, whatever...)
    any suggestion?

thanks to all!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Default Re: warming up BM

Best bet is to warm under warm, running water. You can't get it too hot that way. It's a gentler heating method, so it's more likely to preserve all the good stuff in the milk.

Remember to swirl, not shake!

thanks for the quick reply!
    I forgot to say that I will do it IF I'll be able to express some milk... never done it before... swirl and not shake was referred to the bottle, isn't it? not to the breast while expressing...
    sorry, exhausted mother humor... thanks again!

Well, if you can swirl your breasts, I guess it wouldn't hurt. Or wait. Maybe it would!! Don't try that at home, folks.

Yes, swirl the milk in the bottle. It separates into hindmilk (cream) on top and foremilk on the bottom. When you swirl, it re-homogenizes the milk.

Have you not pumped or hand expressed before?

nope, not a single drop... I had my LLL leader explained it to me over the last meeting, and have The womanly art and The Baby book as a reference at home... and lot of faith in those huge appendix I have in front of me! ...

no, I am not concerned because I do it just as a precaution, because when I'll get out on monday DS will be nicely fed and put to bed, and he usually sleeps without waking up for a good 6-7 hrs...

but I'll let you know how it was! and I'm going to try to express tomorrow, so then I will know...

thanks again!

Have fun on your first night out!

I just wanted to say to not be too discouraged the first time you pump, I didn't get much out for a bit until I got used to it, now, I get anywhere from 4-10 oz. for my 4 month old. I think pumping a great option to have as a back up, even if you don't work outside the home, because if your lo is taking a bit of a nursing strike or if you're engorged you can relieve it. And of course you can have milk for dh to give. That said, I try to avoid bottle of expressed milk unless its absolutely necessary, but it makes me feel better knowing its an option if needed.
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

I didn't pump... DS has been pretty much GLUED to my breast these past days, and in the few spare moments... I physically didn't feel like "squeezing out some more me", IYKWIM...
    (reg. pp, thank you though for warning me about the initial output, I knew about it somehow, but always better having somebody reminding you, you know how it is, you know things teoretically and then, when they happen TO YOU, you think there's something wrong anyway... )
    I'll keep the forum posted about my first pumping!