Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Avent vs Playtex drop ins

Default Avent vs Playtex drop ins

I am using Playtex drop-in bottles right now. They are kind of a pain to use and seem a little wasteful with the disposable liners. I am considering switching to avent. Is one better than the other at preventing gas? Are the Avent good bottles? Do they have a slow flow nipple? Thanks!

Default Re: Avent vs Playtex drop ins

I use the Avent bottles for my DS when I'm at work. We have never had a problem with them. I use the slow flow 1 nippples and he does just fine.

Formerly known as Huntersmomma
    Momma to 3 yr old Hunter proudly breast fed until 2 & 1/2
    Expecting baby #2, Due in Jan 2011

In most respects, Avent bottles are pretty nice and have a good nipple for going back and forth between bfing and bottlefeeding (wide base etc.), which does come in slow flow.
    HOWEVER, one important drawback is that the regular Avent bottles are made of hard, clear plastic which contains BPA, a harmful chemical that leaches into bm. I think it's actually called "Bisphenol A" Avent does make a drop-in style and one made of safer plastic called VIA.
    Some safer alternatives are glass bottles or bottles made with more pliable, translucent plastic. I believe Medela and Evenflo make such bottles. There is also one called BornFree that is supposed to be good.
    I have always like the Playtex drop-ins/liners. Yes they are a bit of a PITA but they are safe and reasonably priced. Plus you don't have to worry about sterilizing and the nipple is also a good one for bfing moms.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I have "The first years bottles, avent and playtex drop-in and the Ameda bottles" I like the drop-in from Playtex cause I dont need to sterilize eveyday the btls the price is really good and she doesnt suffer from gas (I push up any air from the bags with a spoon she only takes 3 oz) However, with the Avent, (the ones that have the tube inside), the first years, and Ameda she has more gas.... I heards Dr. Browns bottles are better in regards to gas .. Dont know

Look info here
    http://www.medela.com/Med07BPAFree07.pdf
    Last edited by Sambarou; October 12th, 2007 at 01:10 PM.

I just bought some Walgreens drop in liners that were a fraction of the cost of the Playtex ones. I think it was either 140 or 160 count for $4. They are compatible with Playtex, Avent or Gerber. Just an FYI
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Avent was a great bottle for us! I used them with my daughter and have used them with my son. He gets way gassy and sucks to much air when I use the Medela bottles I have so I have resorted to the Avent, however today I just found a bottle, wide neck like avent but it is made of safe plastic unlike the Avent. They are called Green to Grow, I havent actually tried them yet but ordered 2 today, I hope they work as well as the Avent and made of safe plastic!!
    Christine
    lots of for the cloth dipes!
    Sara Elizabeth 5.25.04 and Holden Joseph 10.18.07

Wife to Eddie. <3

I use playtex drop ins and I really like them. There are more nipple choices which was good for us because my dd only took latex orthodontic nipples at first. Although now she takes the slow flow natural latch silicone nipple just fine. I know the drop in liners do seem a bit wasteful but I think you can get away with owning only a few of the bottles becasue the liners make cleaning so easy. I only own 3 bottles and my friend who uses vent air has about 8 bottles or maybe even more , so to me that makes it seem a little less wasteful.

Oh, and one more thing that I like about the drop ins is that they heat cold breast milk much faster than any other bottle that I have tried.
    Last edited by mommy2kayla; November 27th, 2007 at 08:45 PM.

I use the Dr.Browns bottles I think that they work the best at preventing gas.

my name is Jennie and I am happily unmarried to Russell
    ~Mommy 2~
    Zachary Matthew 1/22/02
    Rylen Elizabeth 10/22/07

We like the Playtex bottles (drop ins) and nipples. Dd likes the nipples. I picked them from researching what nipples are most supportive for BF. Also, the drop ins are supposed to be good in that they have less nasty plastic chemicals in them. Of course, we use bottles very infrequently, so if you use them all the time, it could get a little wasteful. Good luck!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !