Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help for a frend!

Default Help for a frend!

Since I have become the bf nazi, I feel as though I HAVE to help my friend. She has a 17 day old, and has gone to exclusively pumping (we al know the insecurities . . . is she getting enough etc . . . and she gave in!). After EP for my dd for 3 months, I know how hard it can be and I have told her I will help her try to get her LO to relatch when I go see her on Saturday, that it's not too late . . . so tips anyone??? I know some, but I really want to help her in every way I can! I am begging for all help! I really want her to have what I have with ds not the regrets I had with dd. TIA!

Default Re: Help for a frend!

I began almost exclusively pumping for myLO at right over 3 weeks old. He's now four months old. I've had LOTS of supply issues. It is hard but it's worth it. He still nurses 1-2 X's per day though. He also comfort nurses lots. I work, go to school, and am generally very busy so it's not really an option to EBF. If she doesn't want to EBF, encourage her to at least comfort nurse and nurse at night. Does she sleep with her LO? That might help baby fall asleep easier after nursing. Also--remind her that during growth spurts (3 weeks!) not to pump but EBF so as not to create supply problems.
    Melissa
    Mommy to 3 babies
    Emily 8.11.05 My darling daughterEvan 6.28.07 the baddest, sweetest little guy I ever met
    Eliot 6.1.2010 coming soon and soon to be again!

I did not give you the gift of life, God gave me the gift of you.

Thanks for the input! I am going to push her as hard as I can without her hating me!

If the baby latches but gets impatient at the breast because milk flow is slower than the bottle, you can try putting some EBM in a dropper and drop it on your friend's breast on the side of the baby's mouth just until the let-down.

The thing that helped me most when I lacked confidence in my milk supply was a professional-grade scale that I rented from my LC ($3 per day). By weighing my baby before and after feedings, I could tell how much milk she was getting, and by keeping a log, I could see that she was gaining weight every day. I also got a sense of what a good nursing session felt like.

It's wonderful that you're going to help your friend! I hope she can get the baby to relatch.

Thanks for the replies! I am looking forward to her success!

I think it's great that you want to help your friend to breastfeed. But remember that at the end of the day it's still her choice. My cousin is now preggies with her first child and now matter how many times I try to inform her of all the advantages of bfeeding, she still chooses not to bfeed. Can you beleive it?

Quote Originally Posted by maritzape View Post
    I think it's great that you want to help your friend to breastfeed. But remember that at the end of the day it's still her choice. My cousin is now preggies with her first child and now matter how many times I try to inform her of all the advantages of bfeeding, she still chooses not to bfeed. Can you beleive it?

I am not forcing her, i talked to her about her desires and she really WANTS to. I simply told her about our struggles with it and offered my help. That is all I can do. Thanks for the concern though!

Quote Originally Posted by ByGrace View Post
    Since I have become the bf nazi, I feel as though I HAVE to help my friend.
    http://forums.llli.org/showpost.php?...5&postcount=20

Quote Originally Posted by ByGrace View Post
    She has a 17 day old, and has gone to exclusively pumping (we al know the insecurities . . . is she getting enough etc . . . and she gave in!). After EP for my dd for 3 months, I know how hard it can be and I have told her I will help her try to get her LO to relatch when I go see her on Saturday, that it's not too late . . . so tips anyone??? I know some, but I really want to help her in every way I can! I am begging for all help! I really want her to have what I have with ds not the regrets I had with dd. TIA!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

Also, suggest she call her nearest LLL Leader. Maybe even invite here here!