Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping all day, but slow let-down when nursing babe at night

Default Pumping all day, but slow let-down when nursing babe at night

Hello Breastfeeding experts!

I've been breastfeeding my daughter for 10 months now. I work one day per week at a hospital, and pump while I am there (twice per day). The pump I use is a heavy-duty hospital-owned pump.

Throughout the past month, my let-down is extremely slow when I try to nurse my daughter after having worked all day. Eventually the let-down kicks in, but it takes over 1 minute, which is an entirety for a 10 month old (she bites out of frustration!). After that initial nurse, usually my let-down issue goes away, and nursing sessions are fine after that.

Do any of you know why this is happening? Am I pumping myself dry during the day with this heavy-duty machine? I only use it twice per day when I am at work. As of next week, I will be working two consecutive days per week, and I'm worried about how this will affect my breastfeeding. I am not ready to stop yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: Pumping all day, but slow let-down when nursing babe at night

Your body replaces the milk that you pump in about an hour so you are not "pumping yourself dry", there is always some milk being made.
    Maybe your letdown is slow due to stress. I work part time and the minute I get home am greeted by a crying hungry baby. All I want is a few minutes to change out of scrubs ( I too work at a hospital), go to the BR, and eat something because it's 1:30 p.m. Usually all I get in is the bathroom break , so my letdown is slower at that time of day. How is yours at night? I'm so relaxed then that it happens very quickly.
    If you can get a moment, try to relax, sit somewhere comfortable and supported to nurse (laying down is relaxing), warmth on your breasts, sroking them ect. all the things they tell you to do before pumping will help speed your letdown.

Thanks for your reply.

You're right, I think the day at work stresses my body out which affects my let-down after hours. I nursed my daughter in the middle of the night last evening and had no problems with a let-down. I'll try to relax more when I get home from work.

Thanks

Hi there. I've just starting taking Fennel. It helps with the let-down. It's working for me since I had a very slow let-down in left breast. It's much better now. Here's a link for you.
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks..._f.html#fennel