Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone still using the football hold?

Default Anyone still using the football hold?

It seems dd2 does not like one breast nearly as much as the other side. I have a hard time holding her in the cradle position when she feeds off the left breast. However, I have not problems with the football hold.

I just tuck her feet some what behind me and off she goes. Great for OALD too ^_~

She is getting long and not sure how long I can do the football hold. Anyone have any tips?
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

Default Re: Anyone still using the football hold?

Since I'm nursing twins we use the football hold a lot with our nursing pillow. They're pretty long now (at least 25 inches) so we have changed the way they lie. I will try to explain.

I sit on the couch and they are on their backs, bent at the waist, with their legs sticking up and resting on the back of the couch. They turn their heads and shoulders toward the breast so that they can nurse while laying on their backs.

This works pretty well for us. I try to remember how flexible I was as a kid, so them being a little bendy really isn't uncomfortable. I'm sure they would let me know if it was!!

Hope that's helpful.

I also do it with the boppy due to squiriminess! ds is 3 m/o and it is common once or twice a day .....it helps a lot too when I get a plug ugh

we still use the football hold at 11 months. It is easiest when we are in our recliner (aka the nursing chair ). I usually use my forearm to help support her bottom so she does not just hang off the end of the chair. The arm of the chair supports most of her weight.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

DS got really loooong really fast so the football hold works best for us on the couch or somewhere that he can stretch out his legs.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

I do something interesting when DS wakes up during the night and he and I are both still half asleep. I use the football hold so I can sleep...lol. How I do it is; I place him in a sitting position. His legs are under my arm and he just nurses away and I sleep..

Sam is the same way. He hates the left side but he'll take it with no problems using the football hold. He's seven months, 16lbs, & 27in long. So you can use it for a long time. His legs just kind of dangle behind me.

I still use the football hold. It is all I know. I have tried to hold her differently, but for some reason I just can't seem to make it work.

The answer is FOREVER. My DS is 21months old, 27lbs and 33inches long at last check...over a month ago. He just eats with his legs up on the couch when we are in that position. And if you are having trouble nursing on one side in the cradle position, the football hold is always the answer. Because it puts the baby in the same position (latchwise) that they are in on their good side. However even after latch issues resolve themselves, this is still the best position to eat in while you have a child swinging from your tit!

Way too lazy for formula

I also use the football hold since DD prefers the right breast to the left. She will however nurse a little while on the left breast in this hold.