Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Supply Going South...Please Help

Default Milk Supply Going South...Please Help

I have been bf my dd for almost 9mos (yippee). i went back to work when she was 12 wks old. while at work i pump 2 times each day.
    originally i was pumping lots and built up a supply of over 100 bags of frozen ebm. during the day i would get 10-12 oz each time i pumped.
    time has gone by, now dd is eating solids 3 times a day and is nursing 3 good times a day with lots of little night feedings (we co-sleep). on the weekends, she only nurses.
    the problem is that i now only get 3-4 oz each time i pump (if i am lucky). sometimes i only get 2 oz. i still pump in the morning when i wake up and then feed her. i tried fenugreek, i tried mother's milk tea, i drink water, eat oatmeal, etc...
    i can accept having to give her a bottle or two of formula each day, i just want to be sure that she is getting enough from me when she nurses. i dont want to give up any time soon. how do i know if she is getting more than 3-4 oz from me when she nurses? i am more worried about my supply now than when she was first born...i guess i will always worry (at least until she weans).
    any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated.
    thanks!

Default Re: Milk Supply Going South...Please Help

Hi Mama,

Is she drinking more while you are gone than you are able to produce? How is her weight gain?

Here's my story:
    Mine was never a big drinker while I was gone... but I used to have an oversupply where I would pump way more than he drank. Now, at 16 months, I am lucky to bring home 6-7 oz. total for the whole day. When I first started working I would pump maybe 10-14 oz for a day. So my pumping output has gradually decreased. Maybe yours is doing something similar. I figure it's like this... his growth slowed down (normal from the curves) and my supply adjusted to his needs - we went on vacation and there were a few long weekends w/o pumping. So... I think my oversupply from before is now just perfectly matching supply which means I am pumping a lot less. I never supplemented and my son has been very consistent with his weight and height (stayed on the same weight percentages since about 1 month old). Sometimes whle I am away he may only drink 2-4 oz. (in 10 hrs). But, when I come home he nurses like a champ and we co-sleep too. I never ever supplemented because I was not worried. I knew he would take what he needed and I would be able to supply what he needed, no more, no less. Also, if you supplemented then maybe she wouldn't nurse as much when you were together.

I know it's hard but try not to focus on a number of ounces. If you want to focus on something check on her behavior and her weight, etc. If those are fine, than all is well.

(Of course, if her weight is not tracking well... then the golden rule of "feed the baby" applies - ebm, or formula... but if it's good then maybe supplementing is not necessary).

Congrats on making it this far -- and have faith in yourself that you can go on for as long as you want.

she is still consistent in her weight gain. 8 lbs at birth - now 20 lbs (she will be 9 mo on the 16th).
    she is definitely drinking more at day care than i am able to pump. it wasnt an issue until about 2 mos ago...shortly before i got my period back.
    i do think i had an oversupply at first. i woke up at 2 every morning to pump to make sure i wasnt going to be engorged, i pumped after she ate alot and i might even squeeze in a few pumping sessions just to make sure my supply didnt go down.
    she still nurses pretty well. in the morning i usually feed her on both sides for a total of about 15 minutes. as soon as i arrive home from work with her, we nurse for a while...sometimes 30-45 min. i nurse her to sleep at night. then we co-sleep so she might eat 2 more times or 20 more times...i dont know i just sleep with my boobs hanging out!!!!

she is still consistent in her weight gain. 8 lbs at birth - now 20 lbs (she will be 9 mo on the 16th).
    she is definitely drinking more at day care than i am able to pump. it wasnt an issue until about 2 mos ago...shortly before i got my period back.
    i do think i had an oversupply at first. i woke up at 2 every morning to pump to make sure i wasnt going to be engorged, i pumped after she ate alot and i might even squeeze in a few pumping sessions just to make sure my supply didnt go down.
    she still nurses pretty well. in the morning i usually feed her on both sides for a total of about 15 minutes. as soon as i arrive home from work with her, we nurse for a while...sometimes 30-45 min. i nurse her to sleep at night. then we co-sleep so she might eat 2 more times or 20 more times...i dont know i just sleep with my boobs hanging out!!!!

Funny, I got married a week before you and had DS a little more than a week before!

I wouldn't worry about your supply, it sounds fine. It sounds like you had an oversupply. I usually get 4-5 ounces each time and only pump once during the work day. I am now dipping into my freezer stash of 50 bags (was 70 at one point) and hoping it lasts me to the 1 year mark when I hope to stop pumping and just BF. I also pump at night and after feedings when I'm not working to make up for the low pumping output during the day. Luckily, DS sleeps 10-12 hours a night so I use 3 bags a week on average.

If she is drinking more at day care than you pump during the regular day... if you pumped right after she slept would you be able to get enough to get you by for the next day? Then maybe by the time you went to bed you could still be able to feed her the next time she woke up? Not sure if that would work but it was just a thought.