Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Honey?

Default Honey?

I know I'm not supposed to give honey to my baby, but can I have honey? I really miss it in my evening tea!! but if I'm not supposed to have it, then I won't! I want the best for my DD
    any idea?
    TIA!

Default Re: Honey?

I'm 99% sure you can have it. The risk of botchelism(sp?) isn't the same in adults. Your DD should be right as rain after you enjoy your tea tonight.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

I have honey every morning with my oatmeal, and in my tea when I have some, and my DS is just fine.

GREAT!! thanks ladies!!

I concur, honey is fine for breastfeeding moms.

Botulism spores are naturally found in honey. The normal bacteria in adults' guts prevent the spores from germinating and producing the toxin that causes botulism. However, the guts of babies under 1 yr don't have that normal flora, so the spores can germinate and cause Infant Botulism. The spores do not go through breastmilk, so there's no risk of transmission.

Interesting: Babies have also gotten botulism spores into their gut just by breathing in dust that has the spores on it.

Does anyone know the answer to this: Is honey in graham crackers or as an ingredient in whole wheat bread okay for babies under 1?