Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastmilk allergy?

Post breastmilk allergy?

Hi I have an almost three month old exclusively bf who has only been gaining about an ounce a week since her birth. Our pedi kept saying she was just a slow gainer and she had a bout with jaundice in the beginning. We went for a weight check the other day and now her pedi is concerned. So we went to a GI doctor who said he thinks it is a milk allergy, but wants us to come back in a week. He said she is not getting enough and when I pump I get about 5 oz. so I am at a loss. My pedi thinks I should supplement her with Nutramagin until we figure out the problem. I am the mom of three and my oldest had a milk allergy, but got very sick and was severely dehydrated before the diagnosis came in. We had been in the hospital for 2 wks so at that point I gave up nursing which was hard for me but I was so exhausted. My second one I nursed until he was 19 mons and so I really don't want to give up nursing. Just wondering if anyone had any advise for me. Thanks.

Default Re: breastmilk allergy?

I HIGHLY suggest you visit the "allergy" forum.... There are many threads in there that address this issue. There are also MANY helpful and resourceful mama's in there with GREAT advice.
    Hope to see you there. And

Post Re: breastmilk allergy?

thank you i will head over there....

From what I understand having a milk allergy isn't a reason to give up breastfeeding maybe it could be something in your diet. I would talk to an LC too.

My son is allergic to milk. We have recently been through the ringer and finally came out on the other end after a long battle with the doc/s. A milk allergy is no reason to cease the breasfeeding. visiting the allergy forum and getting some answers there can help you with your journey...

It may be beneficial to start working on taking the milk out of your diet...
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.