Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding and conception

Smile breastfeeding and conception

Hi there,

I want to bf my 9month and two weeks old daughter until she is a year old but I really want to have another baby. I have not had any periods since giving birth and now feel the only real option is to wean completely and hopefully my menstrual cycle will return to normal soon but I know this can take time too.

I bf 3 times a day morning afternoon and before bed and could quite easily cut out the afternoon feed. I am going to start to do this next week. Then the following week the morning feed and so on so hopefully this goes ok.

Any advice, suggestions and positive stories about breastfeeding and getting pregnant welcome Thanks

Default Re: breastfeeding and conception

My mom got pregnant with 6 of her 8 children while breastfeeding. My MIL got pregnant with 3 of her 4 children while breastfeeding. I have a friend who got pregnant while breastfeeding her son when he was only 6mo; she'd got her period back pretty much right away, though. I got my period back at 9 mo post partum.

What's the rush for having another baby so soon? I just know so many people who have children quite close together and they often say how difficult it is to have two babies at the same time. I have never heard a mom who had babies more than two years appart say she wishes she'd had them closer together.

My ds is 13.5 mo, and I recently have been feeling like I'd really like to have another baby. But, I am also VERY glad I have not yet gotten pregnant because I know I would not like to have babies much closer than 2 years appart.

Of course, it's totally your own decision. Do what you feel is right for you and your family.

Thanks for your reply, there are lots of people that do get pregnant whilst bf and I suppose I'm wondering more about how I can get pregnant when I do not menstruate and I don't really understand how ovulation can occur without a period following.

I want another baby close in age to my d as I want lots of children and just want to get on with it!! I have so loved having my d and feel ready and willing for the challenge of another and know my d would love the company too.

I've read some posts on this site about getting pregnant and bf but still not too sure about ovulation without periods and if its possible not to ovulate at all, which I guess it is so this brings me back to weaning. My d is only 2and half months from being a year old so for me to gradually wean and stop when she is around a year old I need to start reducing bf gradually and then as far as I know my periods should return from 2-8 weeks. This time all adds up to my d being around 2years old by the time my periods have returned, time to conceive and pregnancy.
    I know this sounds regimented and overly affected by time but it is a big consideration.

Any thoughts again really appreciated, big thanks

There is a book that your local LLL group library may have called "Natural Child Spacing" and it talks about your body's cycles, etc.

It IS possible to be ovulating without a period occurring, but I am not sure how common it is. I've known many mothers to become pregnant while exclusively nursing an infant/toddler, even when their period was not regularly occurring.

There is usually no need to wean your child completely if you want to get pregnant again. If you're just really eager to do so, try cutting back just one feeding a day to see if that jumps starts ovulation. As a mother of three, however, I would suggest just considering waiting until your body ovulates on its own, as it probably will soon (for some, it could be up to two years, but for most, it's closer to a year). Breastfeeding seems to provide natural child spacing that is timed perfectly for the needs of the mother as well as the child - when your body is ready, it may be the cue that your first baby is more ready to accept a sibling. My period came back almost a year after the births of my first and second children, enabling me to become pregnant a few months later each time. I was still breastfeeding with the same regularity, it was just time for my body to move on, I guess. Also, while my daughter continued to nurse through my second pregnancy, my third pregnancy provided the time for the natural weaning of my son. Hope that's not too confusing! Anyway, I wish you success in whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for your reply, I hadn't considered natural child spacing as a concept before so thats really interesting. I'll trust my body to do whats right at the right time so will definately keep bf until a year or she may naturally wean herself. Thanks again to all and this is such a great resource!!! THANKYOU XXX

You might want to read the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It will help you understand when you are fertile and when you aren't. You'll be able to read the signals your body gives when it's ovulating.

It IS possible to be ovulating without a period occurring,
    Erin, do you have any more info on this? I use Natural Family Planning and have read several books on fertility and haven't heard of this. I know you don't have to be having a period regularly, but I would assume anytime you ovulate, you then have a period unless you get pergnant. I would think anyone who got pregnant before having their period just got pregnant the first time they ovulated after having their baby.