Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I will be going out of town

Default I will be going out of town

I will be going out of town for 4 days and have a 17 month old daughter. who still breastfeeds. her grandmother will be keeping her here? my ? is have any of you left for the first time and how did your little one deal with it? react?

Default Re: I will be going out of town

How often is she breastfeeding in a day? We first left DD when she was about 21 mos. old and down to BFing 2-3 times per day. She was also not dependent on nursing to fall asleep. She stayed for 2 nights with Grandma, Grandpa, and big brother. My stepmom said that DD did ask for me and was sad at bedtime, but that she laid down with her, rubbed her belly, etc. and DD calmed down and went to sleep. After 2 nights DD was ready to see her mama, but overall it went well.
    Second time was a 3 nighter away, and she did great. I should mention that both times I was away, I pumped 1-2 times per day but didn't worry over it too much. I had no supply issues when we were reunited.
    Honestly, I think 4 days might be a little long for a first separation, but if it can't be avoided then leaving her with a caring and devoted caregiver whom she trusts makes a big difference. You might want to give her grandma some ideas for comforting her or getting her to sleep if you think that might be an issue, such as offering another drink or snack, lots of cuddles, etc., whatever helps confort your LO.
    Good luck.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: I will be going out of town

thanks for the info..we will be leaving fri and returning monday afternoon. so not exactly 4 days.. allthough I miss her already..