Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Practical question

Default Practical question

I have been pumping more than not pumping during my waking hours. I am making great progress (according to my standards, if not others).

Question: Is it just as beneficial to pump every two hours (ten minutes pumping, ten minute break, ten minutes pumping, 1 hour 30 minute break) as it is to pump more frequently?

Am I going to loose speed if I back off to this two hour schedule?

I want to get a good milk supply as quickly as possible, but I don't want to burn out, either.

It is going to take many weeks to get my milk, right?

Default Re: Practical question

The more frequent the stimulation, the better. That being said, you can make it easy on yourself. Instead of setting up the pump for one session, hand express. Pump and massage/hand express the next. Make sense?

How frequently are you pumping now? Every 2-3 hours during the day is about the average.

Default Re: Practical question

Right now I am trying to pump hourly during my waking hours, but usually have at least 2 "2 hour" breaks just because of life's demands. (I will never choose to pump over nurturing the baby.) Then I pump at night whenever the baby wakes up for a feeding.

As soon as my milk increases a little more, I am going to start taking him to bed with me to see if I can get him to nurse at night to help bring up my supply even more.