Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: increasing amount of time b/t feedings to stretch stomach size?

Default Re: increasing amount of time b/t feedings to stretch stomach size?

Why do you suction the nose?

baby keeps getting colds, one after the other

Our ped said that unless you can see a booger in the nose, there is no point in using the bulb for suction and actually it can make the cold worse by traumatizing the tissues in the nose making them swell and make it harder for the baby to breath. She recommended just putting saline drops (I've heard BM works too on this forum) 1/2 hour before each feeding (plus when the baby is congested in general.)
    Also are you sure it is cold that your baby is getting? We have thought all along the way that our baby was getting colds because he was congested a lot. It turned out to be reflux, apparently it can have cold-like symptoms. Just a thought.

with pp regarding saline drops, which work wonderfully for me (never tried BM but i will).

as per the stomach stretch, why would we stretch poor babys' stomachs, and then let them struggle all their life (well, mine) in trying to reduce their size so to eat less????
    a small stomach takes in what it fits, and what it fits is what is needed...
    reg. the ear infection, I think (just my opinion, non medical, based only from readings) that "eating less often" means exposing less the baby to the possibility of germs flowing into middle ear... a flowing of Formula could also cause infection, though this is less true with BM; you could try nursing in a different position, being sure that baby is at least at 30° angle and not lying flat...
    (info taken from the baby book, dr sears)

HTH!
    Last edited by panzona; October 12th, 2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: streCH, streCH!
    yes, my son comfort nurses, and I comfort forum!
    teeth counter now scoring: 11!
    WAHM (though hubby behaves like I'm a SAHM) to Luca Johannes, born 23/04/2007
    as well as his great-grandmother (23/04/1916) and his aunt (23/04/1972)
    - both delighted by the generational continuity...

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Even if baby's stomach was bigger (um, ok, your paed is a loon!) milk would still be digested within 2-3 hours, so baby would still be hungry as often.

I just think it's cruel to make a litte baby go hungry for longer than he or she has to! I'm sure there are lots of other ways to solve the ear infections!

Quote Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
    pedia is suggesting we increase the amount of time between feedings to stretch stomach size. baby is about 3.5 months old. is it time to think about doing this? i don't know what to think.
    sorry, should have clarified - increase time b/t feedings and feed baby twice as much at each feeding (baby is fed through exclusive pumping/bottles)
    i am living on lack of sleep so i don't recall exactly what she said, i think it had something to do with helping to prevent ear infections by eating less often (baby seems prone to ear infections and eats only from a bottle)

I'm being totally honest, here--this suggestion makes absolutely zero sense to me. I don't see how it could work, and if it could work, I don't see how it could be beneficial in the long run.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by desperate View Post
    Our ped said that unless you can see a booger in the nose, there is no point in using the bulb for suction and actually it can make the cold worse by traumatizing the tissues in the nose making them swell and make it harder for the baby to breath. She recommended just putting saline drops (I've heard BM works too on this forum) 1/2 hour before each feeding (plus when the baby is congested in general.)
    Also are you sure it is cold that your baby is getting? We have thought all along the way that our baby was getting colds because he was congested a lot. It turned out to be reflux, apparently it can have cold-like symptoms. Just a thought.
    what are the symptoms of reflux? how did you all finally discover baby had reflux?

The general list of reflux symptoms are baby arching back and crying while feeding, eating small amounts and waking up a lot at night for feeding, spitting up frequently, having a love-hate relationship with food, cold-like symptoms like congestion and coughing (particularly at night). I have read that all babies have some degree of reflux in the early weeks because the muscles at the esophagus are not fully developed yet but some have it worse needing treatment some don't need anything.