Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: increasing amount of time b/t feedings to stretch stomach size?

Default increasing amount of time b/t feedings to stretch stomach size?

pedia is suggesting we increase the amount of time between feedings to stretch stomach size. baby is about 3.5 months old. is it time to think about doing this? i don't know what to think.

Default Re: increasing amount of time b/t feedings to stretch stomach size?

I'm not a doctor but I don't get how going for a longer amount of time without food will make a babies stomach bigger.

sorry, should have clarified - increase time b/t feedings and feed baby twice as much at each feeding (baby is fed through exclusive pumping/bottles)

I've never heard of this before. Did your pedi say why it's necessary? I don't think this would "stretch" a baby's stomach anyway. It's actually better to eat small, frequent meals than to eat a few large ones.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

i am living on lack of sleep so i don't recall exactly what she said, i think it had something to do with helping to prevent ear infections by eating less often (baby seems prone to ear infections and eats only from a bottle)

Quote Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
    i am living on lack of sleep so i don't recall exactly what she said, i think it had something to do with helping to prevent ear infections by eating less often (baby seems prone to ear infections and eats only from a bottle)
    I know how difficult it can be to function on little sleep. But if you're remembering your conversation right, it sounds like you got some pretty weird advice! I have never heard that eating less frequently would lead to fewer ear infections, nor can I imagine how this would work.

Perhaps your doc is confused by the fact that your baby is bottlefed, and is assuming that she's also formula-fed? Breastfed babies, whether they get their meals from bottles of straight from the tap, tend to go shorter periods between feedings because breastmilk digests much better and more quickly than formula. This means that a breastfed baby who is eating on a schedule is actually hungry a lot of the time. A formula-fed baby on a schedule might be able to make it through the long time period between feedings without being hungry because her tummy still feels a bit full.

I'm sorry your baby is getting ear infections. That stinks! I've heard that natural remedies- like a little bit of garlic oil in the ear canal- can actually head off infections before antibiotics become necessary... Perhaps seeing a homeopathic doc about it would help? I'm not a granola mommy in general, but with ear infections I really do think there is a lot of value to natural remedies.

imo ignore this
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

i recall dr saying something now that it will help with suctioning the nose, b/c when i suction nose too close to feeding, baby sometimes throws up feeding. so if there is longer time b/t feedings, baby is less likely to throw up when i suction the nose. does that make sense?

My doctor never ever suggested that to me... and I don't know about the suctioning the nose part... Maybe not do it that close to feeding then? And that'll solve it.

My ped suggested yesterday increasing time between feeds to stretch the stomach.

I said, I had a low tolerance to hearing my DS screaming due to hunger. Ped dropped the subject immediately.

BF LOs feed often, my DS has reflux, stretching his stomach isn't going to help the reflux, neither will him eating less often (in fact many small meals are better).

I just ignored this "suggestion"...sometimes my ped has good ones, sometimes not...I take the good, ignore the bad.

I knew absolutely nothing about BFing before DS, so I can understand the ignorance.
    as long as we can, as often as we can

Mama to DS born June 2007