Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help returning to work next week

Lightbulb Help returning to work next week

I am returning to work next week and I am not sure I will be able to pump enough. My work is also not giving me any xtra time to pump and we have no private area to pump except a handicapp bathroom stall???? suitable?? I have only breastfed till now and she is 11 weeks old. I have tried to supplement with formula as much as I hate too. She is refusing the bottle even when she is starving. She won't take it from anyone else. I have tried Similac & Enfamil, but I don't blame her-its smells horrible! Twice she has taken a bottle of BM so I don't think its the bottle however I have tried the Avent, Ventaire and just the basic straight bottle w/reg nipple?
    Any suggestions!!

Default Re: Help returning to work next week

Your employer needs to provide a place for you to pump and you also need to get the time to do it. Your child's health and well being is more important than whatever "agenda" your boss thinks they have. Also, have you considered the cost of working? It is something I would encourage every mother to do before they go back to their job. Often, if you make less than your spouse, less than a certain amount in some areas, and the cost of work clothes, gasoline, meals, takes away a large portion of your income, it isnt worth it. not to mention childcare costs and extra doctor visits because kids in daycare get sick more often. "The womanly art of breastfeeding" has a great chapter on this. I highly suggest you read it.

What state are you from? Check the BF laws overthere in reference to working moms. In some states by law they have to give you time to pump and provide you with a suitable place to do so.

Yes sadly I think working is something I have to do for now, but I am trying to request part time but so far no luck, that would be ideal. I am in state of Pa. and the laws here don't require any special treatment for bf moms. I am lucky, my mother n law will watch my kids so no daycare..yea!
    I tried the nestle good start tonight and she took alittle less than 1oz and then cried so I nursed her but it was bedtime.
    We have a wedding to go to tomorrow and are still trying to decide whether or not to go. Its 3hrs away and will have to leave baby for 1st time, just not sure if I have enough milk? I was hoping to supplement...ugh!

I'm going to address several concerns separately, so this may get kinda long.

Bottle-feedings: babies often won't take a bottle from mom, or even accept one when mom is anywhere in the house. Ask your MIL to try giving her one. Most breastfed infants prefer slow-flow nipples, and ones that are made of silicone, not rubber. There are other ways to feed an infant, too, that don't involve bottles. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bottle.html

Pumping at work: get a good pump. A double pump, hospital-grade, that's not made by a company that also makes formula. They have a vested interested in pumping failing for you, so their pumps aren't so good. A good pump will help you to take less time out of your day for pumping.

Does your employer provide 15min breaks for employees? A lunch break? If yes, you should be able to pump at those times. If not, but they still allow smokers to take a break to head outside, you can use that to your advantage.

Pumping locations: Get creative! If they're not willing to budge on providing you a special room for pumping, look for other options. They won't be as nice as that, but still possible. Some ideas to get you started: storage rooms, storage closets, co-workers' offices who are off on vacation/maternity leave, your own car (look for a car adapter for your pump), a less-often-used bathroom (carry cleaning wipes in your pumping supplies!), coat closets, shredding closets.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

When I pumped at work for my DD, I spoke with a manager who had an empty office that was occassionally used throughout the day to set aside specific time for me to use twice a day. I was very lucky that he was able to work with me. Don't be afraid to ask. If nothing is available then go to your car. It sure is better than using the bathroom to pump. Good luck!

Also look for training room availability.

One way you might get more understanding is to educate. Find your HR rep or another manager you trust and talk to them about your concerns. Bring some information from this site on the benefits of breastfeeding and ways to incorporate it into the workplace. Explain to them how it can make you more productive because you will have less time off due to a sick child. Further tell them how many employers of choice of fortune 500 companies are creating designated nursing rooms because it shows a. their value for their employees and b. it helps them recruit more women in the workplace.

If you need more time, ask if you could come in 15 or 20 minutes early (or stay late) so you can pump. I am not provided with extra time to pump so I have been coming in 10 minutes early and staying 10 minutes late to provide me with more time to pump.

I hope it works out well for you.

Just another option for pumping locations. My company uses the First Aid Room to provide us with an area to pump.

well i returned to work 1 week yesterday....and good news i was able to go part time/4hrs a day so i feed her right before i go and as soon as i get home. She takes a bottle inbetween of bm, and i am able to pump enough to supplement that. Yea!! She did take some formula, nestle good start so that's good for a back up. I tried Enfamil Lipil and Similac Advance, she didn't care for those but nothing compares to mom... )

Thanks for all the advice!!!