Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is your baby on scheduled feeding times?

Default Re: is your baby on scheduled feeding times?

Ha! Schedule-schmedule! I follow her lead. Sometimes it's 3 hours sometimes 30 min She NEVER wakes up at the same time. The only constant behavior she displays in Inconsistancy! You gotta love Girls! Her daddy brought home a bib the other night (actually purchased by MIL) says "More like my mommy every day"
    Kristie
    Wife to Chris 11/09/02
    Mommy to Kaycee Elaine 6/15/07
    with baby girl Emily Taylor due 8/08/09

I have always just fed on demand. Everyday is different for us because I have an older one too so I have to do things around him as well so we just go with the flow. I do have a time I want the kids in bed and that is 8 and I try my hardest to be a stickler with that, on occasion I do bend but not often.

We are on a "schedule" although I think it changes every day! We have a schedule we "aim" for, adn it was planned after watching HIS cues, and as they change, the schedule does as well. This is a typical day:

3:30-4:30 sometime in here bf
    7:30 wakes and bf
    10:30 bf
    1:00 bf
    1:30-4/4:30 Nap
    4/4:30 (when wakes) bf
    6 bf
    6:30 rice cereal
    7 bath
    7:30-8:30 bf (he eats on and off (mostly on!)
    8:30-9 bed!!!

This works for us, of course when he doesn't have a good feed, I offer more often . . . and obviously we scratch any semblence of life for growth spurts! My LO is happy, goes to sleep happy and wakes happy (most days anyway!) He never goes hungry and I don't really let him cry. This schedule was based on HIS needs and is what works for him and us. This way everyone gets their needs met. However, we only started scheduling more the last month and a half, before that he would have no part of it! But we always worked towards one. Listening to your LO is the best plan. And on days when he is not happy with this plan, we adjust! Just what we do!

No schedule here either. I nurse on demand, put her down for a nap when she's tired and we have play time in between nursing and nap time. I basically do whatever she wants to do! She runs me, not the other way around. :tumbsup

SAHM to Ali born on Memorial Day, May 28, 2007
    3 weeks early and weighed 6 pounds 6 ounces
    Ali weighs 17 pounds 10 ounces at 12.5 months old

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I'm not sure if it's possible to impose a schedule and successfully BF.

DS has settled into a routine of sorts. He usually works on 2-hour cycles of feeding, play and change, snack, play, feed to sleep. Sometimes he'll drop the snack when he's with DH or we're out, then just has more next feed (I think it's mostly a comfort thing). In the evenings he tends to feed more often, but for a shorter time. He tells me when he's hungry or tired and I respond accordingly. We don't even have a fixed bedtime. As soon as he starts showing signs of sleepiness (not an easy phrase to say outloud!) we get him into his bedclothes and DH starts to wear him down until he wants to feed.

No schedule here. I just let her feed whenever she wants which is about every three hours. We both love the skin to skin contact soooo much!

we have a schedule/routine. during growth spurts, i feed on demand (or if she is hungry for any reason). but we try to stick to a routine. she fell into herself around 4-5weeks when she wasn't spurting, and we helped guide her there. some people think it is not possible to BF WITH a routine, but maybe that is because they are able to feed on demand while they are at home. personally, i think it is not possible to work outside the home & BF WITHOUT a routine. i have no idea how she would be able to eat on demand when i am not there -or how i would be able to know how much i need to be pumping if we didn't have a routine.

everybody is a little bit different. and it all works out in the end. there is nothing evil or wrong about having a schedule as long as you can be flexible about LO's needs. ours look like this, give or take some:

5am BF
    8am bottle
    11am bottle
    2pm bottle
    5pm BF
    9pm BF
    2:30am BF or bottle

HTH

I guess I'm the odd ball here. I had my son on a schedule since his third week of life!! It's worked great for us, he's been sleeping throught the night since 7 weeks old. And we are still breastfeeding at 9 months. He is a very happy, thriving baby (23 lbs at 9 months).

Every baby is different, though. Scheduling is something that totally worked for us, but it may not work for everyone.

no schedule...more of a routine.
    i read dd to see when she wants to eat. if that means nursing her for 30 minutes, getting a 30 minute break, and then back at it again, then so be it. nursing on demand makes the most sense to me...

Routine, yes. Schedule, no. IMHO, even babies who are totally formula fed should not be on a schedule. It's important for people to regulate their own eating patterns, and research is starting to find that this begins in infancy. Feeding on cue, and paced feeding if ebm fed/formula fed is optimal.