Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moms of distractible babies, how did you do it?

Default Moms of distractible babies, how did you do it?

My baby is one of those super distractible babies who wont nurse when he's awake. He's been this way since he was 4mo, and by 6mths, I gave up and started bottle feed EBM (also since he was having weight gain issue, giving EBM from bottle enables me to monitor his milk intake).

He nurses fine during the night and still wakes up 3-5x from 9pm - 6am.

I never stop hoping that one day I can throw out the bottles and start BF him again (coz I miss BF so much, and hope to get to NIP some day). But I am so worried that if I do so he may start losing weight/not gain weight again.

So moms who have gone thru this, how did you do it?

TIA.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Moms of distractible babies, how did you do it?

I don't have experience with bottle feeding b/c I had an oversupply and didn't want to pump. But, I do have a distractible baby who refuses to feed from time to time, esp. during growth spurts or when learning new skills.

What I've learned to do is take the baby to a dark, quiet room (almost always my bedroom, where she also sleeps in her pack n play at night). I also hold her hand when nursing. I don't allow my DH or dogs to be in the room b/c any slight noise will make her pop off. I even considered turning of the ring on my phone, but haven't yet. If I'm out and about, I search for a dark, quiet spot, or go in teh car and feed her, using a nursing cover so it's dark and she can't get too distracted (although it doesn't always work b/c she tries to pull it off!).

Perhaps not stressing about the weight gain for a little bit and try putting your LO to the breast before bottle feeding the day would help? I know my LO hasn't gained as much as she had the first 4 months, mainly b/c she's so active so my pediatrician and I aren't worried that she's slowed down in weight gain.

Hope that helps some. Good Luck. I know it's difficult.

I don't know. We're still going through it at times. I sometimes think we'll never NIP. The couple times I've tried, it was just DD hanging upside down from my arms and my boob hanging out. As far as around the house though, I just go to a quiet dark room. We take it 1 nursing at a time. some are great, some, well, we survive them. She's actually gotten recently to where she will nurse in the living room if there's nothing going on in there. Nice when DH is at work and I don't want to go hide in the bedroom all day. I'm hoping she'll continue to become more of a "get down to business" kind of nursling. 's to you. Hang in there mama! If you want to nurse, I say nurse. You could always switch back to EBM if it doesn't work out, but you'll never know unless you try!

My son is this way...and so was my daughter. They would go HOURS without nursing during the day. Then, at night...it's every 2 hours. Not good for my sleep...but it gives them the nutrition they need...just not at a *convenient* time for me.

Still going through that at 10 months. She will just not NIP is something is going on noise-wise and covering with blanket does not work. If I can find somewhere quiet, dark and uninteresting or the car is available, she will nurse just long enough to take off the hunger edge, but will still wait to really nurse when we get home. We have to do the quiet, dark bedroom thing most of the time and she too does her catching-up at night. I have no advice just

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

I have a distractable baby as well and I found that nursing him right before his naps and sleep at night, he'll eat very well. I looked it up on kellymom and it said not to worry about feeding the baby to sleep and it's not a "bad habit". I'll try to feed him other times during the day as well. NIP, I try to find a quite place with a little breeze and he nurses very well especially if its been longer than 4 hours since he last meal. If my baby is hungry, he'll eat in public.

My son is very distractable since he is 3-4 months old. He also never took a bottle so at 15 months I am still nursing him throughout the night because that is the only time he gets decent feedings. During the day he nurses well just before sleep and since he is over 1 year that is enough for him. Before 1 year though it was pretty hard. Spoon-feeding EBM was our only solution but it is not very efficient so it was a difficult time for us.

I must be very out of date! What does NIP mean??

NIP = Nursing in public

Ok I tried not using the bottles today.. from 7am to 2pm he only BF for a total of 4 munites . So at 2:30pm I gave him a bottle..