Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleepy baby and no more poopies!

Default Sleepy baby and no more poopies!

I've read and heard all the advice about how long an infant should go between feedings, how long the feedings should last, how much sleep an infant should get, and when/how to go about waking them up to eat. It seems my baby doesn't fit into the "norm" at all! And I feel like I keep asking the same questions over and over! When I get answers, I feel better and know all is well. However, the questions still lurk in the back of my mind and I end up asking them again, only in a different way. Here goes:

My daughter is 4 weeks old. She weighed 8 lbs 7 oz at birth and weighed 10 lbs 4 oz just a couple weeks later. She's had lots and lots of wet/poopy diapers up until a couple days ago, when the poopies sort of disappeared. Still has lots of wet diapers tho. Is this normal for the poop to take such a dramatic turn?

Also, my daughter LOVES her sleep. She sleeps for anywhere from 2-3 hour stretches, then awakens to eat for sometimes only 3-5 minutes before going off to sleep again or just plain stopping! I'd think she'd be starving! No matter what I do, I cannot get her to latch back on and continue eating, and I don't want to force her. Pair these quick feedings with an overactive letdown and oversupply, and I feel like I've got myself a real problem! I'm waiting for my milk production to even out with her needs, but it seems my breasts are almost always hard and full, not painful tho. Just no where for the milk to go except in my daughter, and she eats like a bird!

Does all of this sound okay? I mean, I know she's getting enough...otherwise, she wouldn't be gaining weight and outgrowing her clothes as quickly as she is...right? She just doesn't seem to match up with what I've read in all the books and heard from people.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Sleepy baby and no more poopies!

Hi, I heard/read that it's normal for a breastfed baby to have one bowel movement a week. Breastfed babies absorb most of the nutrients in your milk, so there isn't much waste. You can always call your baby's doctor if you're still worried. =)

Well right now we are going onto 1 week and 2 days with no poop! So yes its perfectly normal. Babies are all different, mine didn't start until he was 3 months but I'm sure that they can start at 4 weeks.

If she always ate like that then I say thats fine, she gained alot in 4 weeks! The thing to look for is wet diapers, 5+ a day and you should be good to go. Some babies are just more efficient eaters then others. And if she was starving she would defiently let you know. My DS was sleeping alot that young and was hardly ever up.

But as always if you have any concerns call your Dr. But I don't think you have anything to worry about!

Normal, normal and normal. Take a deep breath and relax. My girl started her poop strike at 5 weeks and didn't get back to a regular "every other day" until 6 months when she started puree'd solids. She went as long as 11 days with no #2 diaper, which totally freaked me out! But I read somewhere that as much as 14 days can be "normal" for BF'd babies.

As long as your baby isn't straining, grunting, red faced or with a hard abdomen or fever, all is probably well.

Feeding needs will change from day to day. There are growth spurts and sleep spurts somewhere around 4, 6, and 10 weeks. What you're describing sounds much like what my little girl did. Take another deep breath.