Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nuts & peanut butter

Question Nuts & peanut butter

When can I start eating those again? I'm craving a peanut butter sandwich something terrible! My DD is 3 weeks old and I've been BFing for 3 weeks. My pediatrician told me to avoid them, but she never told me when I could start eating them again.

I ate nuts and peanut butter all throughout my pregnancy. When can I start eating them again??
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: Nuts & peanut butter

Does your immediate family have any allergies to nuts or peanuts? If so, it's best to avoid these foods while breastfeeding until your babe is at least 1 year old. If allergies do not run in your immediate family, there is no need to avoid these food products.

I'm not a Doctor, but I've been doing a lot of research on this topic lately, and that is what I've been reading.

Good Luck.

I agree with pp. My peds and I think my lo is allergic/sensitive to peanuts. I also crave pb like crazy and avoided it during my third trimester and when she was tiny. When I started eating it again she was okay the first few times but then got terribly cranky screaming for several hrs at a time and the only thing different in my diet was the pb sandwiches. BUT my brother has a terrible peanut allergy and my mom found this out when she was bfing him. Peds now has me treating her as if she has a peanut allergy until we can confirm when she is 2. You should be okay if there aren't allergies in the family.

We don't have any allergies in my family. I have been eating peanuts and everything the whole time. She hasn't had any reactions at all.

no allergies on my side or my hubby's side. is it worth the risk?
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

I don't think it is worth the risk since peanut allergy is a severe life-threatening one. We don't have any family history of allergies but I have avoided peanuts throughout my pregnancy and BF just in case. I suppose it will be OK to try eating some after your baby is over 1 year to see if there is any reaction. But I wouldn't give it to the baby until age 3.

I would ask your pediatrician. My husband had a nut allergy when he was a toddler, so I was advised to avoid peanut butter, etc. until I either quit bfing or until my ds is 2 yrs old. Have you tried soy butter? It doesn't taste exactly like peanut butter, but it certainly does the trick for me. Plus, if you cook with it (for desserts), I cannot tell the difference.

Apart from the allergy, nuts also cause gas - something about them having high content of fats, fiber and protein which take longer time to digest. I was told to stay off nuts by my ped as my LO was very gassy the first few months.

So even if you dont have allergies, maybe its wise to avoid them for now..HTH.

We have no family history of any food allergies - I ate pb when pregnant and BF both babies with no problems.

Amy

Both my sisters have food allergies and are asthmatic and have eczema and my husband's mouth swells up if he eats pine nuts and shrimp (although he loves shrimp so much he still eats it)

I ate peanut butter all through my pregnancy and have never stopped and it has no effect on my son.