Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezing without power?

Default Freezing without power?

I'm in Florida, and as you may know, we've had a rough few years with all the hurricanes. We're expected to have another harsh season, which means many power outages. I'm working so hard to build up my freezer supply after all the problems I had, and I am terrified that with one storm I'll wipe out all my hard work if the power goes out.

So, what are the guidelines for freezing milk, thawing it, and using it? I don't have a deep freeze at the moment, although I'm hoping to get one before any major storms. I do have a freezer on my fridge that has a separate door, and it does get VERY cold in there! I'm sure you all know it doesn't take long to thaw a 3 ounce bag of milk, so what if it thawed partially? Would it be Ok to refreeze it? Or does it HAVE to be used within 24 hours. Do you all use it within the 24 hours after it thaws, or have you kept it longer?

It has taken me a week to get a 1 day supply in there, and although it's better then nothing, a little bit each day does add up. I would be heart broken if all that work went down the drain without even being able to use it.

We do have a generator, but sometimes the storm can be so bad that the power has been out for several hours before we're able to go outside, get it started, and start restarting our appliances (including the fridge/freezer). What if the freezer has been off for several hours, but everything still appears frozen?

In preparation of a storm I usually freeze giant ice cream pails to make big blocks of ice to keep things cold until we get the generator going. Would barricading all my milk amongs giant ice blocks keep it frozen enough for a few hours, or am I pushing my luck?

Today is the start of the '06 hurricane season, and as you might have guessed, I'm starting to stress about it already.

Default Re: Freezing without power?

Dry ice works great! I know because once (with my first one) I tried to mail overseas (I was going to be separated from DD for a while) frozen BM in a container with dry ice (kind of stupid but it was worth a tried), well they returned to me a day or two later I think and it still was frozen.

Just an option for you to think about!

I've heard of dry ice working really well, however, for the past two years it has been sold out EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to buy it. I've wanted to get it just for our own food and stuff, but it's always gone. At the first hint of a storm people go insane, and unless you have "connections", things like dry ice go fast!

Sorry to hear that. I'm from Puerto Rico, so I know what you mean with the ice thing. We got very lucky last year, I'm scare we will pay this one.

You might try looking for connections now, maybe explaining your situation might help.

Did you figure out a plan for just in case?

I stocked up a stash of frozen milk, only to learn that my ds doesn't really care for it. On a few occasions, he refused to drink it and I had to toss it!

though I have no experience with freexing pumped milk, Just today we looked up on the net about the safety of refrozen foods
    (because my dd and I got a mild case of food poisoning from eating partially thawed and refrozen icecream )
    I'm not sure how it applies to bm, but most o the articles we saw said any animal products that get defrosted (I assume bm is technically an animal product ) should be used immediately or discarded. I do think I read somewhere something about if there are still ice crystals in it, then its okay to refreeze. but you should check it.

have you considered moving the generator inside, or to some location that you can start it as soon as the power goes down? I know the noise can be awful, but loosing all your hard-won milk can be pretty darn depressing too.

The frozen blocks are a good idea. The other day our power was out for about 1.5 hours, my frozen, and refridgerated milk was fine. As long as no one opens the door to the freezer, I would think that you would have time to start up the power again. I would suggest that as soon as you loose power, make sure the milk is in the back of the freezer, where it is coldest, and surrond it with the huge frozen blocks, and you should be fine for at least an hour. Like I said mine was fine in there, our icecream didn't even melt!