Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Transporting EBM

Default Transporting EBM

I'm going out of town for the weekend (bringing DS) and will need some expressed milk while there. It's about a three hour car ride. I won't have time upon arrival to pump enough for my time away from DS. If I bring frozen BM in a cooler with ice pack, can I put it back in the freezer when I arrive? I won't save it at all after it is defrosted.

TIA

Default Re: Transporting EBM

Try to have as many Ice packs as you can and take the milk out of the freezer at the last minute. 3 hours is not that long, I don't think it would defrost. When I have something that I want to keep cold on the car I put the A/C blowing to the feet and put whatever am trying to keep cold right under the air, just a little suggestion.

Be careful about packing the milk with ice. When I was donating milk to the milk bank in my area, they instructed me not to pack the milk with ice. They explained that the ice could actually melt the packs of breastmilk. They suggested packing the milk in a well sealed cooler that was not much bigger than the milk I would be bringing to keep it frozen. If your cooler is small enough, try shoving it in the freezer or refrigerator before you leave to keep things extra cool. Another possibility is dry ice, if it is available.

They explained that the ice could actually melt the packs of breastmilk.
    I can see that happening with regular ice since when it melts it becomes water and having liquids around the bags may start the defrosting process. That's why dry ice is better, b/c it doesn't melt it evaporate not living a pool of water. But when you pack something with dry ice, you got to be careful as you can't seal the pack b/c you have to live a small escape on the package for the ice emissions to escape and it's not so good to have it in car unless you have your windows down or partially open, and a 3 hour ride with windows down I don't think I would like that. If you buy dry ice read the warning label, but dry ice works wonderful at keeping stuff frozen even for days. I don't see any problems with the plastic and gel ice-packs.

I travelled by plane on a five hour trip and brought frozen milk. I packed it with ice packs and in a flexible cooler (the one provided with my pump) and it stayed VERY frozen the entire time. I had no problems with it at all. Good luck!