Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Large Nipples

Default Large Nipples

Hi,

I have large nipples and am looking for any advice on how to deal with this when trying to breastfeed. I also have Reynaud's Syndrome which I've heard can complicate things. I've attempted to bf twice with my two younger children and gave up both times due to intense pain. I'm expecting my third now and really want to succeed this time but I need help.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Default Re: Large Nipples

Hi sprout73,

I too have large nipples and I sucessfully breastfed both of my girls. I have to say in the first fews days after they were born, it was really painful to nurse them b/c my nipples were too big for their small mouths. However, it got better as they grew bigger. No pain no gain! but the gain is much greater than the pain, so, try your best and I'm sure things will work out.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

For the Reynaud's, applying heat is often helpful. The cold air (after being exposed to warm baby's mouth) causes blood vessels to restrict leading to pain. Some mom's find it helpful to apply a heat pad to the breast immediately after nursing. One easy way to make a small heat pad is to fill a sock with rice and then heat in the microwave.

Large nipples can be challenging in the beginning when baby's mouths are very small. Fortunately, as the PP said, babies grow pretty quickly in the early weeks, so after awhile the problem often remedies itself if you can get through that initial difficult time. It may be helpful to work with a lactation consultant to make sure you are getting the deepest latch that you can. Also, if you are going to be pumping at all, make sure that you get a large enough flange size so that pumping does not damage your nipples.

Do you have a local LLL group? Your local leader can be a great source of in person help and support as well.

Quote Originally Posted by llmommy View Post
    It may be helpful to work with a lactation consultant to make sure you are getting the deepest latch that you can.
    I agree 100% with the PPs- especially in regards to seeing a lactation consultant. There is nothing like hands-on help! I saw 2 LCs and both helped me figure out techniques to get more breast deeper into DD's mouth so that her sucking didn't traumatize my nipples. If you could look inside a baby's mouth while she was nursing correctly, you would see that the nipple was actually really far back in her mouth, and most of the sucking action produced by her tongue would be directed at the resilient areola.

The technique that was most helpful to me in getting a deeper latch was something my LC called "areola sandwich." Imagine you're biting into a big fat sandwich, like a hoagie. If you want to get as much of that hoagie into your mouth as possible, you're going to have to squish it and flatten it before you bite it, right? Same with the breast. Before you latch your baby on, you compress your breast behind the areola, flattening the areola into an oval shape. Align the long axis of your baby's mouth parallel to the long axis of the areola/oval, and latch her on. This should get the nipple farther back in her mouth, even if it is a larger one!

Good luck this time around!

my dear
    I have huge nipples too. Bigger than my newborns' heads. I didn't think it was possible to nurse. With my first child the technique was all wrong. With the second I invested in 45 minutes with a lactation consultant and i have had an excellent time with breast feeding.
    The turning point for me was asking one key questoin. "Please show me how much of my nipple it is realistic to get into my baby's mouth"
    my dear, I was amazed when she indicated a small circumference around the teats. I could easy see that happening. I didn't need to squish into her mouth as I had been told. I just had to wait until she opened her mouth wide and quickly, firmly, but gently thrust the nipple into her mouth.
    After a few weeks, it was all seamless.
    i wish you well. its possible. (my areola is bigger than one of my cupped hands)

oh, and do remember it is a learning experience for baby too. she will soon learn how to open her mouth wide enough to latch...

aviod bottles too, that will help baby to get a good latch the 1st few times when they are learning to nurse.
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    check out the clips on the right side of this web site.

there are great clips to watch on this web site too
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html