Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin's a good baby food, right? Maybe?

Default Re: Pumpkin's a good baby food, right? Maybe?

Sorry I posted before I read the rest of the post.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

And FYI for those that make their own food and are always looking to stretch the dollar - one small pumpkin (about a foot around) made a TON of food - I have about 5 or 6 ziplocks filled with cubes of pumpkin.
    It sure does make a lot and a wonderul food for babies, toddlers, the whole family. We made all our own baby food, and squash was/is a regular. I just wanted to post to make sure people buy the correct type of pumpkin!!! Make sure it isn't one intended to be used as a Jack O' Lantern, those taste terrible. They are grown for size and not for taste. Commonly a Sugar Pumpkin, or Sugar Plum Pumpkin will be in the market and that's the type you want. They are also much smaller, about the size of a canteloupe. One PP with a recipe does mention to use a Sugar Pumpkin.

What you can use from any pumpkin, even the Jack O' Lantern type, is the seeds. When you scoop it all out, don't throw it away! Just wash the seeds up, toss them in a bit of veg oil or sunflower oil, lay them out on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven and toast them. We lightly salt them too when done. They are a really tasty treat. We did this as kids too, I understand now that it is a great way of keeping the kids occupied for even longer when carving pumpkins

Just thought I'd point that out, as this time of year the markets are full of Jack O' Lantern type pumpkins, and we'll all probably be doing some carving of our own soon.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Have you guys seen Jessica Seinfeld's new book? It's called Deceptively delicious. It's all about "hiding" puree'd veggies in your meals...they are spinning it as a way to hide the veggies kids don't like, but I like the idea of using things (like pumpkin) to reduce the amount of butter and sugar and stuff. Plus I'm going to be joining a CSA next year and I'm sure I'll be getting veggies I have never even eaten before and have no idea how to prepare other than pureeing.
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

I tried pumpkin today, but ds spit it out. It wasn't the sugar plum kind though, just a regular small pumpkin...I'll keep trying!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

ok i feel totally clueless again. how do you take a raw pumpkin and make it edible? i've only ever used can but always wanted to do fresh. and how do you know it's a sugar plum or whatever? the grocery store just labels them all "pumpkin"

You are so funny! I just followed the previous posters' directions. I cut it in half, scooped out the seeds (I saved them to roast), put it on a cookie sheet with a little water, and baked it for about 45 minutes. Then I scooped it out of the skin, mashed it, and put some maple sugar on it. I tried it, and it was delicious. DS is just so darn picky. He'd rather eat spanish green olives, then yummy pumpkin
    I don't get it.

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

guess i didn't see the pp directions. lol now i feel REALLY clueless. or maybe i'm just losing my mind? anyone else think pregnancy should count as a mental illness?

[QUOTE=Matilda's Mom;313153]
    Quote Originally Posted by KathrynK View Post
    Now if I were to use a real pumpkin, do you steam it like butternut squash and mash it? QUOTE]

I baked mine in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees. I had to check a few times to see if it was soft, so it may take longer. Then I peeled the skin off (which should come right off if it's cooked through) and pureed it.
    It is really good - I tried some and it's realy buttery and filling. And my LO eats it like it's going out of style.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

[QUOTE=kendallgailsmommy;313783]
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda's Mom View Post

Dont worry - I followed you!
    And pregnancy does do something to your brain, IMO.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

I used to say I have "pregnancy brain" now I say I have "mommy brain"

Kathryn,
    born on 11/2/2006

born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK