Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin's a good baby food, right? Maybe?

Default Pumpkin's a good baby food, right? Maybe?

So I was making some pumpkin cookies today, and one of the ingredients was canned pumpkin. As I was measuring that out, I thought that DD might like a bite or two of it (she had been sitting w/ me in the kitchen and eating some peas, garbanzo beans, oatmeal clumps, etc.). So I put some on a spoon and she took the bite. She didn't say "yum" but she didn't spit it right back out, either. So I guess she likes it. I was thinking, "Hey, pumpkin's in the squash family and squash is a good baby food... I'll give it a whirl."

PS the pumpkin cookies are really tasty.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

Default Re: Pumpkin's a good baby food, right? Maybe?

yup its fine...
    heres something from whole foods:
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...&dbid=63#descr

My daughter LOVES pumpkin. It is one of her favorites by far and still the only vegetable I can get her to eat while she is going through this lovely picky phase.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by sweetiejo5 View Post
    My daughter LOVES pumpkin.
    Ditto.
    And FYI for those that make their own food and are always looking to stretch the dollar - one small pumpkin (about a foot around) made a TON of food - I have about 5 or 6 ziplocks filled with cubes of pumpkin.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Pumpkin cookies sound soooo good!

Mind sharing your recipe?
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR

Quote Originally Posted by Stacia View Post
    Pumpkin cookies sound soooo good!

Mind sharing your recipe?
    Well it's not "my" recipe (although I did use honey and whole wheat flour instead of sugar and all-purpose flour though)... but here it is.
    Andrea, wife to Tim, mama to Lydia, born 5 December '06 (weaned at 28 months, ) Benjamin Luke born at home 5 days late on 10/10/09

my Blog . . my Play Food

What a great idea to give canned pumpkin! Lots of vitamins. I'm going to try some. Now if I were to use a real pumpkin, do you steam it like butternut squash and mash it? I have maple sugar crystals too (from a farm stand), just to add a little sweetness. They are a lower glycemic index than sugar.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

i found this on a ebook I bought at wholesomebabyfood.com ....

A pumpkin is a type of squash and is a member of the gourd family (Cucurbitacae), which also includes squash, cucumbers, gherkins, and melons.
    Pumpkins are loaded with Nutrients!
    Pumpkins contain some of the best nutritional compounds ever. They are highly loaded with Vitamin A and beta carotene. Beta Carotene is one of the plant carotenoids that when eaten and digested, turns into Vitamin A in the human body! Beta Carotene may reduce the risk of cancer as well as heart disease. It also may be responsible for combating or putting off the degenerative effects of ageing. Pumpkins are also good sources of potassium, protein, and iron. Pumpkin seeds also contain a good amount of protein and iron so eating the seeds does provide some nutritive value. Pumpkins are wonderfully low in fat, low in calories but high in fiber!

Choosing a Pumpkin to cook for Homemade Baby Food
    If you will be using Pumpkins in food dishes, look for smaller, immature pumpkins - sometimes these "cooking pumpkins" are labeled as "sugar pumpkins". The smaller, sugar pumpkins provide the most flavorful additions to any baked dish or baked good and are great as a soup! These smaller pumpkins are more tender and less stringy than the larger variety. Try to find a pumpkin anywhere between five to eight pounds.

How do I cook a Pumpkin?
    Pumpkins may be poached, boiled, steamed or baked. Please be aware that Pumpkins tend to loose their nutritive value with prolonged cooking. A Pumpkin must be cooked immediately after you have cut it open or you will find a brownish-blackish mold begin to immediately set into the flesh. Once cooked, Pumpkin should be used and/or chilled immediately. If you will not be using the cooked pumpkin immediately, store it either purred or in the cooked chunks, in the freezer. it does freeze well! The cooked pumpkin will turn a brownish orange so don't be alarmed when you peak into the bowl and find that colour. Baking pumpkins, like many other fruits/squashes may be the best choice of cooking for optimal flavor and nutrient retention!

When can my Baby eat pumpkin?
    Babies may begin to eat Pumpkins anywhere after 7 (seven) months old. You may feed your baby in plain pumpkin in pureed form alone or mixed into cereals, yogurts, and even in meats such as chicken. Adding a dash of cinnamon to pumpkin gives baby a first exposure to the wonder of spices. You may also bake pumpkin as you would a butternut or acorn squash and serve the baked pumpkin in small dices as Baby Finger Foods. Rub a wee bit of butter and a bit of cinnamon on the inside of the pumpkin prior to baking for a tasty nutritious treat!
    You may use canned pumpkin for baby food. Ensure that you purchase canned pure pumpkin and NOT "Pumpkin Pie" mix. The Pumpkin Pie mix contains sugars, starches and other additives.
    (17 October 2006) We recently peeled back the label on a can of 100% pure pumpkin (Libby's brand) and found this interesting information:
    CAN I EAT WITHOUT COOKING?
    Libby's 100% pure pumpkin is thoroughly cooked during the canning process so it is perfectly safe and acceptable to enjoy straight from the can.
    ONCE OPENED, CAN I FREEZE, HOW TO STORE, HOW LONG DOES THE PUMPKIN LAST
    Pumpkin may be stored in a sealed plastic container for 1 week in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer. When freezing, allow for headspace at the top of the container as the pumpkin may expand when frozen. Pumpkin may have a separated appearance when thawed due to air bubbles. This will not affect the pumpkin quality or performance

PUMPKIN: (one cup - cooked)
    VITMAINS:
    Vitamin A - 12230 IU
    Vitamin C - 11.5 mg
    Vitamin K - 2.0
    Folate (important during pregnancy) - 22 mcg
    Niacin - 1.01 mg

MINERALS:
    Potassium - 364 mg
    Phosphorus - 74 mg
    Magnesium - 22 mg
    Calcium - 37 mg
    Sodium - 2 mg
    Iron - 1.40 mg
    Also contains trace amounts of zinc, manganese and copper.

Pumpkin Puree - Basic

1 sugar pumpkin
    water
    cinnamon, nutmeg optional - sprinkle into the cooking water or when you puree/mash

Pumpkin is best when baked! Bake a pumpkin exactly as you would bake a winter (Acorn, Butternut etc.) squash!

Halve the pumpkin, de-seed
    Place halves face down in a baking pan with approx 1-2 inches of water
    Bake between 375-425 F for approximately 40 minutes
    Skin should be "puckery" and/or wrinkled and pumpkin should feel soft
    Scrape out the pumpkin "meat" and then mash or puree as needed for your baby! **Pumpkin is very watery so baking is the best method - you may peel, de-seed and steam chunks of you prefer**
    BAKED PUMPKIN SLICES
    • halve a sugar pumpkin then cut into slices as you would a melon
    • pat slices with a wee bit of butter (or olive oil if you prefer) then place slices on a greased (olive oil) baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with water
    • drizzle with pure maple syrup or sprinkle slices with brown sugar (if desired) and then sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of ginger.
    • We like to mix these spices together first for an even mix so that no one spice overpowers the other.
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

[QUOTE=KathrynK;312679] Now if I were to use a real pumpkin, do you steam it like butternut squash and mash it? QUOTE]

I baked mine in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees. I had to check a few times to see if it was soft, so it may take longer. Then I peeled the skin off (which should come right off if it's cooked through) and pureed it.
    It is really good - I tried some and it's realy buttery and filling. And my LO eats it like it's going out of style.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony96 View Post
    So I was making some pumpkin cookies today, and one of the ingredients was canned pumpkin. As I was measuring that out, I thought that DD might like a bite or two of it (she had been sitting w/ me in the kitchen and eating some peas, garbanzo beans, oatmeal clumps, etc.). So I put some on a spoon and she took the bite. She didn't say "yum" but she didn't spit it right back out, either. So I guess she likes it. I was thinking, "Hey, pumpkin's in the squash family and squash is a good baby food... I'll give it a whirl."

PS the pumpkin cookies are really tasty.
    Can you pm the receipe for the pumpkin cookies my kids love pumpkin.
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.