Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this oversupply?

Default Is this oversupply?

I have been dealing with what I believe is an oversupply issue with my son. He is 4.5 weeks old and has been gaining 2 ounces a day. He has gone from 6 lbs 9 oz at birth, with his low beiing 5lbs 14 oz to 9 lbs 10 oz today. I didn't realize this was an issue until reading other posts on the forum. He also chokes several times during a nursing session, and has started pulling away and waiting after the milk lets down. He does not want to comfort nurse, but is always wanting to suck either on my finger or a pacifier. He also is VERY gassy and has a hard time burping, he seems uncomfortable all the time. He poops about 4-6 times a day and it started out yellow and curdy but is now green. I never had this issue with my first child, and she nursed all the time for comfort and never took a pacifier. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Emily

Default Re: Is this oversupply?

Sounds like it could be oversupply. What is your son's current nursing pattern? (How often? How long? Do you offer both sides at each feeding?)

He nurses on demand, we don't really have a schedule. He usually nurses about every 2-3 hours, sometimes less often, sometimes more. Normally he will nurse for about 10-15 minutes on one side. I try to offer the other side, but usually he will only take one side at a time.

The fact the he is already one taking one side at a feeding is a good thing. It sounds like you might need to maximize the amount of hindmilk that he gets. This will also help slow down your foremilk production and make let downs less forcefull and more managable for him.

To maximize hindmilk, you will try to make a conscious effort to always finish the first breast first. This could take multiple feedings from the same breast. Try to offer him the same breast throughout a 2-3 hour period. Once you are pretty sure that he has 'emptied' the breast you can move on to the next breast. Always making sure that the breast that is up next doesn't get too full. (You can relieve yourself if the pressure is too great on the unused side: with a pump, hand expression, hot shower, etc.) Be careful to only relieve yourself and not attempt pump it out completely. You want to make sure your body gets the message to slow things down a bit. Nurse as often as baby seems interested but only from the designated side. If the 2-3 hour period doesn't seem to slow things down enough, you may try a 3-4 hour period, and so on. As long as you are not withholding nursings, and continue to nurse on demand, you shouldn't need to monitor the diaper output too closely. Hopefully you will notice an improvement over the course of a few days. You might even notice a difference over the course of a few feedings. Best of luck to both of you!