Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I try Fenugreek?

Default Should I try Fenugreek?

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I have a 6 week old DD and have been supplementing since we were at the hospital. Her birthweight was 8lb.2oz. She dropped down to 7lb.6oz. That's when supplementation began. I've been working with lactation consultants from the hospital. I originally produced about 1-1/2oz. milk during feedings but was able to bump it up to 3oz. after 5 dreadful days on Reglan. The LCs never suggested fenugreek but I've been reading a lot about it. I supplement feedings with a 2 oz. bottle of formula but DD. DD sometimes takes all of it and sometimes doesn't want any of it. At my last LC visit I was told that I make 3/4 of the amount of milk DD needs. DD seems to be at a good weight with her current program. She weighed in at 9lb.7oz. at her check up last week (she was 5 weeks old). Is Fenugreek worth a try or do you think I should stick with my current program and let things be?

Default Re: Should I try Fenugreek?

It won't hurt to try, but it sounds as you're having good progress right now. Fenugreek is very safe and it worked for me. I'll send you a link about increasing milk supply.
    Good luck and keep persevering!

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/increase.html

Fenugreek works for some people. Are you pumping and bottle feeding or nursing? It sounds like you're doing fine.

Thank you for the replies. I am nursing on demand and offering 2oz. of formula after each nursing session. DD will take anywhere from none to the full 2oz. She's been sleeping fairly well at night lately has had nights where she's woken up after 2 hours seeming to be hungry. I'll nurse her and she'll fall right back to sleep.