Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Belly sleeping

Default Belly sleeping

DD is a little over 7 months and the past few nights, she's rolled herself over to sleeping on her belly. My first thought was "no big deal" she's old enough now for me not to worry. But, her head wasn't completely to the side, her head was about halfway face down into the mattress - and breathing just fine. But this made me a little nervous so I just tried to roll her back onto her back. Well, that just woke her up! And, she seems to sleep much better on her belly - - I'm all about more sleep for us if this is actually ok?

Any experiences?

Default Re: Belly sleeping

My son started rolling over onto his tummy at about 6 months. Little stinker wont sleep on his back. I would recommend moving her head to the side to where she can breathe normally and you feel comfortable as well.

Recently had the same situation and it worried me too! The first few nights I drove myself crazy turning her over, thankfully she didn't wake up. Just had my 6 month peds apt. and she told me to chill out, when they can roll themselves the chance of sids is gone.
    Brittany

Perfectly OK. If they can roll themselves over & turn their head, they won't suffocate and the risk of SIDS should be minimal, if existant at all.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Both of my daughters have slept on their bellies since birth. My 9 wk. old is currently napping on her belly, the only way she will sleep. We gave the "back to sleep" campaign a good try with both of them, but they would not sleep like that.

The sheet is very tight on her bed and it's a very firm surface. I feel safe doing it, even though it's a bit controversial.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My lo has been sleeping on his back since he came home. We co-slept so I noticed any movement he may have done. But at 6mo your lo should be fine sleeping on tummy. They seem more peaceful that way
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

My lo has been sleeping on his belly since about 4 wks of age. From my experience, babies almost always sleep better on their belly...it's comforting because they don't get the falling sensation and it is warmer. At 7 months of age, I wouldn't worry about it as your baby is definitely strong enough to turn her head as needed.

Besides, SIDS is not linked to sleeping on the belly as much as it is to the items that are in the bed, negative habits the mother had during pregnancy, and the chemicals used to treat the mattresses....

My dd is 8 mo. and will sleep through the night on her belly. If I put her to sleep on her back it is only a matter of time before she is awake screaming. The pedi told me when they learn to role over from back to belly it's okay for them to sleep on bellies.
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

With my oldest he wouldn't sleep on his back either and one day I turned him over to his belly and he slept really well. The first few mights I was worried at every little sound but after that I knew he was ok. He still likes to sleep on his belly . With my youngest he goes to sleep on his back and won't go to sleep on his belly however he will turn some nights to his belly and he sleeps fine like that. He has been doing that since about 6 months. I wouldn't worry about it.

Most of my nine have been belly sleepers since birth. Nice firm matress and tight sheet and they're good. It might sound funny but I've always listened to my los breath while sleeping. I suppose kind of like some one might listen to music.