Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how much is enough?

Default Re: how much is enough?

I'm very familiar with the kellymom.com info on breastmilk nutrient vs. other beverages and the info about breastfeeding past one .... and am kicking myself for not bringing that info with me to the dietitian appointment. I'm getting the feeling she may not have listened because of her comments about not being able to measure DS breastmilk intake.

After that post - I talked to:
    - my very very supportive DH who said that the dietitian BF info sounded silly,
    - a nurse at my pedatricians office who said "that's just silly - the boob is always best" (my note - assuming that LO is doing well on BF to start with)
    - a nurse at DS allergist (who is currently BF her almost 2 year old who has food allergies and she is on an ED) who said that if BF is going well then continuing to BF is better than something like soy milk

I've got a phone call in to a different dietitian and will interview her extensively about her stand on BF past one before deciding to make an appointment.

I'm feeling MUCH calmer and will take a clearheaded look a the info from that dietitian and pick and choose the info that makes sense for us. She did give me lots of good resources and ideas for foods for DS in the context of his food allergies that will be very helpful. I'm thinking we'll just cheerfully ignore the part about cutting back on BF.
    Last edited by lsksam; October 17th, 2007 at 11:29 AM.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Over in the allergy part of the forum we were having a discussion about toddler nutritional needs, and in particular how meet the fat target in a LO who doesn't eat any dairy at all.

Which made me do a bit more thinking and research ....

According to the info I got from my dietitian ...

8 fluid ounces human breast milk:

calories 172
    protein 2.5 gm
    fat 11 gm (saturated 5 gm)
    carbs 17 gm
    cholesterol 34 mg

Which is in line with what kellymom.com says here and here

(note: 1 cup = 8 oz)

From these different sources I see that 1 oz breastmilk is about 1.2 to 1.4 gm fat.

Also on kellymom:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Human milk expressed by mothers who have been lactating for >1 year has significantly increased fat and energy contents, compared with milk expressed by women who have been lactating for shorter periods
    So if toddlers need around 40 gm fat, that would be approximately to 29 to 33 oz breastmilk

40 gm fat needed (1 oz / 1.3 gm fat) = 30.8 oz breastmilk

No clue how you'd determine how many oz LO is taking per bf session - unless you take the approach of weighing LO before and after nursing.

The kellymom.com info on toddler nutrition says:

There is no need for additional milk or (or the equivalent nutrients from other foods) as long as your baby is nursing 3-4 times per day.

Which is starting to make a bit more sense to me after running the numbers above. At 3 nursing sessions a day, that would mean that LO is taking in about 10 oz a session. Which just seems high to me.

But - for me all of this is a bit reassuring that those 3-4 nursing sessions go a long way towards meeting my DS nutritional needs for fat. Since my LO is eating a variety of foods and we try to put a fat into most of his foods, I'm suddenly a little bit less stressed (at least for now).

Hope this is helpful to others!

Lynn
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

thanks lynn I'm sure that will help somebody!
    you should share that info with the dietetion... if it helps one other mom who is struggling then youve done your job!