Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it time to wean?

Default Is it time to wean?

My baby (8 1/2 months) has been biting me--hard. So hard that I have to pry her jaws apart with my finger to release her from my nipple. She is not interested in any more daytime feedings, only bedtime. She will take a bottle in between mealtimes but I'm not getting much from pumping. I feel like she is not getting enough proper nutrition since she is not breast feeding much--but eating lots of solid food. I have tried formula (similac) but she hates the taste. Is there any better tasting formula or are they all the same. She (so far) has no allergies. Is it time to wean? Is this her way (biting and lack of interest) of telling me that she is ready to wean?

Default Re: Is it time to wean?

Are YOU ready to wean? If not, there are definitely ways to keep your baby on the breast. Offer the breast before solids, when your baby is hungriest. That way she'll fill up on milk, and "top off" with solids, instead of the other way round. Nurse when she's in a mellow, cuddly mood, like before naps and bedtime. Do lots of skin-to-skin contact- taking a warm bath with your baby or hanging out topless may get her interested in nursing.

I'm sorry you're getting bitten! Biting is an issue I'm not that familiar with (thank goodness!). But I've read that watching your baby carefully as she nurses, and removing her when she is no longer actively feeding is supposed to head off biting, since babies tend to bite when they're playing around at the end of a feed.

At 8.5 months, your baby is probably really active, which can make her uninterested in nursing. Teething, which she may be doing too, can have the same effect. But lack of interest doesn't necessarily mean time to wean, though it may make it easier if you are ready!

Finally, you might want to post this in the Weaning part of the forum, or under Introducing Solids, in order to get more responses. HTH!

At 8.5 months, your baby is probably really active, which can make her uninterested in nursing. Teething, which she may be doing too, can have the same effect. But lack of interest doesn't necessarily mean time to wean, though it may make it easier if you are ready!
    I completely agree, this topic comes up from time to time on the boards, and I have to say the 8 - 10 month age was the hardest to nurse my son. He was so distracted, having fun with solids, changing up nap schedules, teeth, walking, biting and seeing how I would react, all kinds of things. It really is just a hard phase.

You can do it, just keep offering and before long the time will pass and they'll be onto something else. I have heard so many mothers say their LO's weaned at 9 months. Before we hit that age I thought the women were just being dramatic, but having gone through that phase and the biting and mini-strike here and there, I can see how some mom's MAY misinterpret things and without a support group actually find themselves weaning their LO's.

For the biting specifically, it's probably a phase. I would sit and have my finger ready to break the seal. When he would bite down I would pull him off, tell him firmly no biting, and then let him nurse more. If he did it again, same thing. Usually about the 3rd time he'd get the point but there were a few times when he did it a 4th time and I unlatched him, told him no biting, sat him down and left the room. That got a reaction out of him of course. They are learning so try that and see if it helps you.

I feel like she is not getting enough proper nutrition since she is not breast feeding much--but eating lots of solid food.
    At this age the majority of your LO's diet should still be breastmilk, my Pedi said around 75% of my son's diet should still be breastmilk at 9 months.

Here's a link about nursing the older infant, lots of good info about biting, short term lack of interest, etc.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/index.html

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Moved to weaning.

Biting does definitely not mean time to wean. I mean, my one year old just bit me on my lip when he went to kiss me - it left a sore on my lip, but that doesn't mean I'm never going to kiss him again! I just have to be more careful and teach him that is not appropriate!

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06