Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding and Formula Feeding

Default Breastfeeding and Formula Feeding

Are there any side effects (constipation, gas, etc.) for a baby if he/she is breastfed and also formula fed throughout the day?

Default Re: Breastfeeding and Formula Feeding

Formula-fed babies tend to have more trouble as far as constipation than breastfed babies. I'm not sure about the gas thing, as my son is only breast-fed (well, until we started solids about a week ago), and he has always been pretty gassy. I'm not sure about how that works if they're breastfed and formula fed. I bet someone who knows will come along though.

MoMmY316 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

i bf and formula feed for a while its a long story i had posted somewhere before.....anyway

i would only give her formula when we went out and i nursed at home she did fine i the bf helped the formula i think and she didnt get constipated

I've supplemented during the day with formula starting at about 6 weeks old. I just never could pump enough to give her enough bottles while I worked. Because I wasn't watching her, I don't know if she got gassier or not, but I do know that she prefers the breastmilk, according to her providers (first daddy, then day care). When she is sick or upset (like when she first started day care) she refuses formula and will only eat the breastmilk.

If you can at all avoid supplementing, you should. It is better to exclusively bf, but I've never noticed any problems with her digestion.

Oh, yeah! Formula poops stink a lot more than bm poops, I do know that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

i haven't gotten to bf yet but my lo is formula fed and she has been constipated for as long as i can remember. we tried everything the ped said to do but it doesn't help so we just deal with it as best we can but i feel so sorry for her. so i don't know about mixing them but we do have constipation problems with the formula. just one more reason to add to my loooong list of why i'm going to EBF the new baby.