Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to pump inbetween nursing sessions

Default how to pump inbetween nursing sessions

Hi,
    my baby is 4 weeks old and next week we have a wedding to go to. How do i pump and get a supply ready (4 bottles worth) for next week? Do i nurse from only one side and pump the other, or after a session pump that side? He feeds every two hours, so there isn't time to get a pumping session in. I am a little worried that i won't be ready for next week!!

Default Re: how to pump inbetween nursing sessions

I would suggest trying to pump after the first feed in the morning, when you're the most full. See how much you get. If you need more, you can try feeding on one and pumping the other while baby eats or just after. Just remember that you're going to need to try to pump as frequently as your child nurses while you're away at the wedding to prevent a loss of supply and/or engorgement.

I would second the recommendation that you pump after your first morning feeding, when you usually have excess milk.

I found it took a long time to build up a stockpile this way, but it was comfortable and easy.

Be careful not to pump too much when your child isn't eating - I understand this can lead to mastitis if your breasts begin to produce more milk than your child really needs. An acquaintance of mine followed misguided advice that she pump after every feeding to build a stockpile of EBM. She ended up with chronic mastitis, which made breastfeeding very difficult for her for months.

Is it possible to take baby with you to the wedding? The bride & groom might make an exception for a baby this young (it's not the same as trying to contain a two year old). If not, how long will you need to be away from baby? Four bottles worth sounds like a long time. I wouldn't recommend going for more than 3 hours without pumping or nursing, like one of the pp stated, you don't want to cause engorgement or have it affect your milk supply. Keep in mind that your baby will be having a growth spurt soon (6 weeks) which is not a good time to be separated from baby. In any case, good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Pump about 45 min after your morning session. Your milk will be completely replaced within 45 min to 1 hr, so baby should have plenty to eat.

I find it's easier for me to pump at night. Maybe I'm more relaxed then?

Also, I was a bridesmaid in a wedding last December...DS was 4 months old. I took my hand pump in my purse and pumped and dumped in the hospitality suite. (if the wedding reception is at a hotel, most likely they will give the bridal party a conference suite to get ready and store their stuff in during the reception.) I wouldn't try to go without pumping at normal feeding times.

Good luck, HTHs!