Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oh dear what is wrong with my baby

Default Oh dear what is wrong with my baby

For the past couple of days Elias (he's 10 wks old) has been unconsolable. He is fed on demand, no schedule and gaining well. Good poops/pees. This starts in the evening hours. He will cry at the breast. I keep at it until he finally calms down enough to latch on and nurse. Sometimes he will realize he's latched on and start crying again. He doesn't take bottles or pacifiers so my breasts are the only thing he gets when he's fussy. I have tried slinging him, walking him around, putting him in different rooms. I just don't know what's wrong with him! I have checked his temp and there is no fever, he's not stuffy or anything. During the day he is fine. Today, though he slept a lot during the day. I don't know what to think of this

Default Re: Oh dear what is wrong with my baby

Hi Brenda,
    Having an inconsolable baby who was otherwise quite happy at the breast can be a tough situation. I am so sorry things are not going well. Have you considered giving a call to his doctor/ped. just to rule out an ear infection or other symptoms that are hard to pinpoint? It may be worth your peace of mind to have him checked since this is not his normal temperment. Sometimes babies who are having pain when nursing, due to sore throat, ear pain, etc., will refuse to nurse and be very fussy at the breast.

Also, have there been any other major changes in your diet or otherwise in schedule that might be throwing him off?

At his age I would think that maybe something else is bothering him, and it is not just "colic" or "fussy/high-need behavior".

HTH,

Gosh i hope it's not an ear infection! I haven't had any changes in my diet or schedule (we don't really have one anyway). If he continues like this tomorrow i will call his doc to rule any illness out. He has since calmed down and has continued to nurse well, he's sleeping now thank goodness..thank you for the advice

Hope he has a good night! Let us know how things go!

Sigh..he was up a lot last night..not crying, just fussing, we cosleep so i was able to nurse him but it was so hard to get him latched on without him fussing..needless to say i lost a lot of sleep. Today he seems fine, just sleeping for about 20 min stretches, which is so unlike him. He is happy, smiling and everything but the sleeping part sucks! He went down this morning at about 10:15am..was up at 11..then was down at 1pm..was up at 1:25..don't know what's up with him.