Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping And Supply

Default Pumping And Supply

I am back at work for my second week now. My lo is 7 weeks old. When I first started pumping about 2 and a half weeks ago I was getting 6 ounces for each pumping session and now I am only getting about 3 ounces and have had to start supplementing with formula. I have read that fenugreek is a great herb to help with milk production but I have not tried it yet. I have tried looking at pics, meditation, massage and warm compresses to help with let down, but I am still not getting any more milk!!! If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Pumping And Supply

Naomi - do not get discouraged. I've been back to work for 2 weeks and I pump at work twice a day. I don't get the same amount every day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I worked up a good supply in the beginning so I am able to pump 4 times a day to get what I need. Do you nurse at night? Maybe nurse then pump to help build your supply. Also bring in a picture of your baby while you pump it is helpful to imagine your baby suckling from your breast. Stay with it as long as you can. Perhaps you are not comfortable where you are pumping?

First off, if you're worried about your supply please know that's "normal" when you go back to work & are using your pump. My first day back to work, I was pumping 9 ozs/session . That was ALOT and I hurt ALOT, but I thought I'd be set. By the time DD weaned herself, I was only pumping 2 ozs (from both sides combined)/session.

You can try oatmeal. That works for a lot of women to boost supply. Make sure you're drinking LOTS of water (so you urine is pale yellow). And *try* to relax and not worry about your output while you're pumping.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

How often are you able to pump? What type of pump are you using?

Here's some info on maximizing milk production while pumping:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Talking Re: Pumping And Supply

I rented a pump it is a medela lactina plus. I know I am not comfortable where I pump as I am pumping in the bathroom and I can here people talking in my office. I try to relax and smile!

Smile Re: Pumping And Supply

Quote Originally Posted by NAOMI View Post
    I am back at work for my second week now. My lo is 7 weeks old. When I first started pumping about 2 and a half weeks ago I was getting 6 ounces for each pumping session and now I am only getting about 3 ounces and have had to start supplementing with formula. I have read that fenugreek is a great herb to help with milk production but I have not tried it yet. I have tried looking at pics, meditation, massage and warm compresses to help with let down, but I am still not getting any more milk!!! If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
    Fenugreek is my best friend!!! When i started back to work my supply took a dive too. Now (its been 2.5 mos) its all good no more supplementation. i took fenugreek until i smelled like maple syrup, now i take 5 caps 4 times a day. I started with 3 3 times a day (lc recomendaation to start). I noticed a differencee the day after i started. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions regarding this. HANG IN THERE - IT WILL GET BETTER!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I def. had a drop in supply when I started pumping when I returned to work. It's easier said than done to relax with a milking device hooked to yourself.
    That being said, I think it is important to relax and try to go with the flow. Initially, I had to pump 3 times a day to get enough. I found that pumping in the morning was really good for me, because it seemed like I had more milk then. (At least that's when I would get the bulk of it.)
    I tried Mother's Milk tea which I feel helped me.
    Also, the bathroom isn't the greatest place to pump - can you tak to your employer about using a private or secluded part of the office to pump in?
    I have been back to work for about 5 months now, and only need to pump twice a day. The kellymom website helped me determine how much I would need to pump to have milk for my DD when I was gone. As long as you can pump enough for the next day, you should be good. This was initially my goal, and I was eventually able to pump enough to save some in the freezer.
    HTH!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

thank you guys, i was about to post a question like this... i go back to work in a week