Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Attempting to relactate and latch

Default Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

Quote Originally Posted by relactatingmomforthelord View Post
    I am not just building up a milk supply for my baby, I am learning perseverance, character, and hope. I am growing into the servant God wants me to be.

Thanks for that. I needed to hear it.

I was very surprised to hear that Fennel was a in category L4 as several speakers talked about taking it for an OALD. I guess it would dry up your milk a little (or a lot in your case) and decrease the MER. I never looked up the pathophysiology of the herb. Several websites recommend taking it I'm glad you said something to you IBCLC. I guess I should look each herb up personally before I ever recommend it to someone. Chalk it up to learning. Was that the only side effect you noticed? Did you notice any changes in your lo? I hope everything is okay!

Well, I've been trying to log in the past few days to tell you that we haven't had to use formula at all this week. My lo actually almost refuses the bottle. She'll take about 2 oz out of it and then plays with the rest. My mother in law was extremely upset because the baby wouldn't eat much but as soon as she saw me, she practically attacked me. She had her mouth wide open and was trying to eat my shirt. It was such a great feeling. We have been doing nothing but nursing this entire week. I haven't given her any BM in the bottle as she just plays with it. I'm just concerned, as anyone would be, because I'm not sure how much she's getting. She only nursed about 4 times each day. I pumped between each feeding and used that milk in her cereal. I actually have extra milk in the fridge. I tried to use the supplementer a few more times but she just played with it so I figured if she'd nurse without it then that would be just fine with me. I'm getting about 5 oz in the morning when I pump and about 3 1/2 oz at night. I think its safe to say that I am providing 100% of her needs.

Smile Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

You did it Corey0902! You really did it! I am so, so glad! I am crying happy tears!

How old is she? I am thinking around 7 or 8 months, now? I bet she eats plenty of solids that she can nurse when she wants and still get plenty of nutrition either at the breast or with food.

I am so proud of you!

I in no way hold you responsible for the fennel mistake. I bought it. I put it in my body. I should have looked into it more first. (My first hint that I should not have taken it was that it can be used to induce menstration. Duh! Ya' know?)

I am still in progress. He gets about 2 oz of formula with almost every feeding. When he was taking bottles, he drank between 4-6 oz in each bottle, so I know that I am giving him a significant portion.

Also, I know that his suck is getting more efficient. I used to be able to pump a significant amount immediately after he ate (meaning 1/2 to 3/4 oz). Now, I give him the breast first, add the supplementer after I don't see the "open mouth pause" of drawing and swallowing milk, and then pump and I don't even get enough to cover the bottom of the container.

I know it is his efficiency, because I see him drinking milk and when I pump at night (when he sleeps through) I can see how much I have (still around 2.5-3oz). So, he must be getting better.

He turns 6 months old, tomorrow. Since he was a month early, and isn't sitting up or acting like he NEEDS to eat solids, I am going to wait a little bit longer.

Maybe someday he will be able to just nurse without the equipment.
    Maybe someday, soon!

My lo is 8 months old today. She does get a significant amount of fluids and nutrition from her food. She loves to eat. She screams and coos anytime she sees me eating. We started solid , (in my opinion now) way too early, at 4 1/2 months. She was taking about 10-12 oz within 2 hours and just wouldn't settle between bottles. She would watch you eat and move her little lips and mouth imitating every move. Looking back, I bet she was going through a growth spurt and if I had waited a few more days she probably would have been fine on just BM.

Anyway, I too am extremely proud of myself. I'm beaming. I wake up every morning leaking. Its such a great feeling.

I'm glad to hear your lo is becoming more efficient at nursing. I'm assuming you've worked through your latch issues. Doesn't it feel great to have him at your breast? I never knew I would miss it so much. I'm terrified to think of how I'll feel when she weans. Maybe by then I'll have another lo to nurse but I know I'll still miss nursing my beautiful daughter. She's such a blessing I thank God everyday for giving her to me. I don't know how I lived without her. I can't remember what my life was like without her. She's my world!

Keep up with the great job you've been doing. Your still my hero cause it was extremely difficult for me to do this with just her, let alone 3 other children. Your husband should be so proud of you. Your always in my thoughts and I'll pray that you too will be able to do away with all your equipment and if you can't, just remember you've accomplished your goal by getting him back to the breast and providing him with the best, BM.

Well, I've been trying to log in the past few days to tell you that we haven't had to use formula at all this week. My lo actually almost refuses the bottle. She'll take about 2 oz out of it and then plays with the rest. My mother in law was extremely upset because the baby wouldn't eat much but as soon as she saw me, she practically attacked me. She had her mouth wide open and was trying to eat my shirt. It was such a great feeling. We have been doing nothing but nursing this entire week. I haven't given her any BM in the bottle as she just plays with it. I'm just concerned, as anyone would be, because I'm not sure how much she's getting. She only nursed about 4 times each day. I pumped between each feeding and used that milk in her cereal. I actually have extra milk in the fridge. I tried to use the supplementer a few more times but she just played with it so I figured if she'd nurse without it then that would be just fine with me. I'm getting about 5 oz in the morning when I pump and about 3 1/2 oz at night. I think its safe to say that I am providing 100% of her needs.
    Congradulations!

WOW Corey0902!!! I am sooo proud of you!!!

I have milk in my freezer. I had a 3 day weekend and I would pump after every feeding and after my lo went to bed. I am getting b/w 1/4-1/2 oz after every feeding and 3-5 oz at night. I would leave about an oz or two in the fridge to make cereal and put the rest in the freezer. I kept opening the freezer these past two days and my dh was asking me what I was doing. I made him come over to the freezer and I pointed at my liquid gold there on the top shelf. He commented on how proud he was of me and told me that he honestly thought I would never be able to provide our dd with a full supply. He's a true believer now.