Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to relactate and latch

Default Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

I didn't have time earlier to really read or type, so forgive me, sbbeana, when I wrote that about the hand expressing. It doesn't work for me either. I am sure I just don't have the technique down, but the hospital pump works, and so I do that. It is expensive, but I couldn't get my milk to come in with the pump n style (although I had the original, not the advanced. You could always use your PISA for a week and then decide if you want to rent a hospital grade pump).

Do not feel dicouraged about not seeing any milk. Your body is beautifully designed by God to feed your baby. Stick to a routine for a week. It is so worth it. What have you to lose? He won't get any breastmilk from his bottle, alone, ya' know? (I started from nothing, too.) There is one advantage at this "stage of the game." You do not have to take time to wash your flanges!

My personal update:

Last night baby woke-up at 1 am, which is unusual. He normally isn't up until 3 am or sleeps through the night. I usually pump at 3 am, so I had no idea how much milk I had (I guess I really never do) at 1 am. I decided to try to take him to bed with me and see what would happen. I switched sides and drifted off to sleep. He got squirmy and so I offered the frist breast again. He would latch for a second or two and then fuss and pull away. I kept trying a few more times, but didn't want to make him too mad. So finally I got up out of bed to make his formula in the SNS. I wanted to be able to nurse him in bed without all the hassle. It is my favorite time of day to nurse because we don't "need" the SNS. But I got up and made the formula. To my surprise, he wouldn't take it. Finally I figured out that he was full and pulling away because he didn't want anymore! I put him back to bed and pumped. I got another 1/2 oz. He slept the rest of the night and didn't get up until 7:30. Maybe this night nursing is starting to work.

God is so good in every way. Yesterday when my husband asked me how much longer I was going to do this, he didn't say I had to stop. He just is feeling the added strain of my being devoted to this endevor. Later in the afternoon, my father-in-law called and asked if he could take the big kids to the zoo. So DH and I got a whole afternoon together (with the baby of course). We basically did nothing. It felt so good.

Come to find out, DH is sick with a chest cold. So no wonder he was feeling overwhelmed with all this! Later, my 4-year-old clearly had a sore throat and asked to go to bed. She has been on the couch most of the day with a little cough.

I know this sounds strange, but this little virus is a blessing. First of all, the kids are very low energy, which lets us all rest. Second, I think that my husband is going to get to see one of the reasons why breastfeeding is so important. I can't wait for him to see the baby either not get sick or get sick and get better, quickly.

DH really doesn't "get" breastfeeding. He knows that he wasn't "and is fine." I point out to him that he has allergies and takes more than one medication on a daily basis. I tell him that he will never know if that wouldn't be the case if he had had breastmilk. I was bf until I was 3. I am the same weight as I was on our wedding day and I do not have any allergies. I had mild asthma as a child (because, I am sure, my dad smoked) that I no longer have any trace of and am a completely healthy person.

Okay, that is my rant for today

I'm sorry to hear that your dh and lo are getting sick, but as you said it might just be a blessing in disguise. Men can be so weak sometimes, and I think when they're sick it really shows.

My lo keeps gumming me and then pulling away. I tried compressions to keep the milk flowing and I know she's getting milk because when she pulls away she has milk all over her face and its still dripping from my breast. She's so easily distracted. I tried nursing in bed as there is nothing going on around her but she continues to pull away. I guess I should be happy cause then she puts herself back on. Last night I went to give her a bottle and she turned her head toward my breast and tried to latch on through my shirt. I didn't have any milk left (cause I pumped to try and put it in her bottle first) but she kept trying. Then she just played with the bottle, popped it in and out of her mouth. I think she's teething but I've been saying that for weeks now. She has two little bumps where teeth should be.

So we started with the cloth diapers on Saturday and I love them. They are so soft and easy to use. They're not as bulky as I thought they'd be. We haven't had any issues yet. I even did a load of laundry and that whole process was a breeze.

Well, relactatingmomforthelord, this is my latest dilemna, trying to keep my lo latched on and to keep her from gumming me. My nipples are so sore but I know its for the best.

This is exactly what my son did. I was so sore and discouraged, I was ready to give up. But my son did the same thing with his bottle (only he never did take it again) that I decided to persevere. I doubt I would have if he had not refused that bottle. I was so ready to quit.

I meant to tell you yesterday that swaddling his arms helped, too. He got much better about not popping off my breast within about 48 hours. Keep at it. And remember, even if you have just pumped, it is okay to put baby to an "empty" breast. They really are not empty and babies can get more milk than a pump can. Plus, she can comfort suck or "experiment" suck, right?

Hang in there. You are soooo close to really enjoying nursing your precious little girl, again. It does get easier, quickly!

I just wanted to add, there is a cloth diaper forum here!!! Just go to User control panel and click to be added.

Quote Originally Posted by corey0902 View Post
    How many feedings does your lo have in 24 hours?
    About 8.

Also, you said take the fennel right before a feeding. Is there a liquid form? Is that better? What all do you know about fennel. Right now I have been taking a capsule along with my other regimine.

Now that my milk is increasing, I think my MER is better. Still, it doesn't last very long. I use compression.

Hi Ladies, I am sorry to jump in your thread, but I had a question - how long ago did you guys start relactating? I just started today basically and know it will be a long road esp since my son wants nothing to do with latching on.

You guys are doing great by the way!!

I started 7 weeks ago on Thursday.

Season, welcome. I'm glad you jumped in on our forum. The more the merrier. I started Sept 20th. So I guess it would be almost 8 weeks. I wasn't as committed that first week. It definitely is a long process but well worth it. My daughter has just latched on this week and taking less and less formula. She refused the bottle today at lunch and dinner and was knawing on my shirt trying to latch on. I thought she would never latch but this week has been amazing.

Relactatingmomforthelord, I've heard of people taking fennel mixed in water but if your taking it in capsule form its almost the same. Are you taking about 1/2 hour before you nurse? I heard thats the best time to take it.

At work and pumping, will try to write again later and fill you in on our progess.

Fennel is BAD

I have been on a rollar coaster the past few days. It seemed like all of a sudden my milk was GONE. I was trying to piece together what had changed. Was is co-sleeping at night instead of pumping? Was it the cold we all (except baby) have? Turns out it is THE FENNEL!!!!

My IBCLC looked up Fennel in the Thomas Hale MEDICATIONS AND MOTHERS' MILK 2006 12/ed and it is a L4 and is estrogenic. (I believe she told me this was on page 339. THIS IS VERY BAD. Estrogen decreases milk supply and L4 the second to worst grading for a medication (L5 is worst) compatable with breast feeding. (In other words, Fennel is NOT compatable at all with Breastfeeding).

DO NOT TAKE FENNEL!!!

I stopped yesterday about 1 pm and by last night my milk seemed to have almost come back to the prior level. But I really think that it came back only because of the domperidone. I am going to post this on the other place that someone recommended fennel. I would HATE for anyone to read through an old post and go through what I have been going through.

Perhaps LLLjolie or someone can make that a separete thread so that information is easy to find?!