Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to relactate and latch

Default Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

I sure am glad I checked in before going to bed!

Babies tend to bite when they aren't actively nursing. I'd suggest getting an SNS and whenever you don't use it, nursing him only when he's asleep.

Good luck!

I totally understand EVERYTHING you said in your post (it made perfect sense). I loved being at home, but missed the "excitement" of getting out everyday. Even the chit-chat of people I barely knew (I worked in a hospital). I think it is a HUGE adjustment. But like you said, you wouldn't trade it. I have made lots of SAHM friends through library play groups, Kindermusik, going to the park, and the like. I just sort of found other moms doing mommy stuff and before long we became friends.

I felt like I didn't belong at LLL meetings, either, but it isn't true. This online forum has been such a source of encouragement and support for me. I did go to my LLL group yesterday -- and they all were so glad to see me again. I told them what had happened (how/why we quit, how I got started again). THEY APPLAUDED ME!!! I burst into tears . My LLL leader reminded me that the first rule is to feed the baby -- meaning I had done the right thing -- and she told me that any amount of breast milk given in any way is great.

I am not a supermom. Trust me. My first was the hardest. It gets easier. Like I said in another post, my older kids are doing more than their fair share of the housework, right now. I even have two that can make simple dinners with verbal directions.

Anyhow...back to BFing... my son bit me, too. (HARD!!!) Do you want to try the SNS? I think it is wonderful. It may stop the biting like Vanne said. It is no more work than cleaning bottles, and "babies learn to breastfeed by breastfeeding" to quote Dr. Jack Newman. Focus on bring back the milk if he isn't ready to nurse, yet. In fact, I still can't take my son to bed to nurse because he gets frustrated and bites. He wants the "flow" from the SNS - even though I am only putting 2 oz in it. He has no formula at his 3 am feeding and maybe none at his 6 am. I am pretty sure that I am at about 15-20 oz now, based on how much formula he is taking. I WANT to take him to bed to nurse all night to finish up this process, but I have tried all week and he just gets frustrated. Then again, I said that about nursing two weeks ago, and we are now nursing full time, so who knows. Try and try and try again.

Do you have a pump? What kind? Have you tried pumping or hand expressing? What happened? Did you get even a little? Don't worry if you didn't. If you have nothing, pump for a week, and you will!!!

By the way, I think you can't go wrong. If you just want to focus on pumping for now and getting the baby to the breast later, that is fine. If you just want to focus on learning to use the SNS that is fine. (Using the SNS will bring in a milk supply). If you are up to both, well then, who is supermom, now? (No really, if you are up to both terrific. Just don't be hard on yourself. There are no rules on this. Just do what you can and watch what happens! Take it one day at a time.)

By the way, if you pump and just get "flicks" of milk on the side of the collection bottle, pour the water you are going to use to mix with the formula in the collection bottle first, so that baby gets every drop of your milk.

I'm BACK, and PUMPED! Last week (at the lactation consultant course I took) I learned so much. After learning some of the things I did I can't imagine that someone wouldn't want to breastfeed. Its like asking someone if they want the best for their baby (who wouldn't) and then they tell you they bottle feed. Its a total contradiction.

Anyway, I religiously pumped all last week and came home with almost 40 oz of milk. So that breaks down to almost 8 oz a day. I'm planning on renting a hospital grade pump as I've only been using my Medela PISA. The LCs at the course said I would probably see a huge difference in my supply by using the hospital grade pump.

So this morning I woke up full (which is becoming a usual for me now) and I attempted to place my lo to breast (not expecting anything), and to my surprise she LATCHED on. I had the SNS all primed and ready to go but everytime I tried to slide it in she would unlatch. I tried to get her to latch with it attached and she would always pull away. It was more of a distraction than anything. Regardless she stayed latched for about 4-5 minutes, through my first letdown and then unlatched. I tried for several minutes to get her to relatch and she wouldn't. I didn't want to push the issue as it was a successful feed in my eyes. I then attempted to finger feed her with the SNS and everytime she saw the tube she would pull away. I finished feeding her by cup feeding, rinsed out the SNS and let her play with it. I let her play with it so she wouldn't be scared of it. I hope I didn't make it into a toy. I guess we'll find out at lunch.

Any suggestions on how to slide the SNS in without her latching off? Relactationmomforthelord, did you lo have any difficulties with the SNS? Was your lo intimidated by it at first or did he just latch right away? How did you introduce it? I think I'm going to find a LLL meeting in my area because I feel like I need another hand. She didn't have a perfect latch but I was trying to get her to take the SNS to keep the flow going so she would stay latched. I'm just so excited about our morning feed that I can't think straight.

sbbeana, welcome to our little group. I'm so glad to hear you want to relactate. Its a great feeling but I will warn you it has some bumps along the way. Relactatingmomforthelord and I will be here for you and give you tons of support. Between the two of us I think we've tried almost everything. Give us a little information on what you've tried, what equipment you have or are willing to purchase and ask any questions you might have. Congratulations, you've taken the first step.

AWESOME

I have tears. I am so excited Corey0902!!!!
    I KNEW we were both going to do this! I so wish that we lived in the same town.

Who knows, you may not even need the SNS. I think Vanne didn't use one. I used the SNS with his bottle, first (strung it through the nipple opening with a needle) and then taped it to my breast after he had used it for several feedings. He just latched on (of course he had latched previously for comfort sucking to go to sleep, remember). He popped on and off about 20 times the first feeding, so it was anything but smooth. It just took practice. But we are getting really good at it, now. In fact, I have moved him down to the smallest tubing (the red) and am only using 2 oz of formula at a feeding. It has been a really good week for us, too.

I know that ideally you should feed the baby both sides at least once before introducing the lactation aide, but he won't always latch and suckle without the flow from the SNS. I don't know how I am going to wean him from it. Did you learn anything about that? I am planning on picking your brain regularly, now.

Dr. Newman says to use a 5 french feeding tube in a regular baby bottle filled with supplement. I think that the 5 french tube is less flexible and you can place it in the baby's mouth with out unlatching. I guess that would be an advantage. You might be able to get ahold of one at your hospital and try it. I am sure you know know more about it than I do.

Hear is my newest hurdle. My husband is growing weary of this. He really wants me "back." He wants to know how much longer I am going to be doing this. I told him "Until I am finished. I don't know how long that will take, but once I don't have to use all this equipment, I can go anywhere and do anything." He isn't making me stop, but he has about had it. I am on week six. That is as long as he lasted the first time (when lo was born). He told me I had to stop because we were both completely exhausted and baby was not gaining It was bad. He really does play a big role in this because of our three other young children.

I am only pumping after he nurses -- to get one more let down. What do you think, Corey0902, is this the best strategy at this point? I am meeting at least half of his nutritional needs with breastmilk. I am pushing myself to get more done around here.

Oh, and I did add Fennel since it helps with let-down and I didn't get a period (I know Fennel can be used to induce menstration - and I didn't want that).

So good to have you back! So are you becoming a LC?

It sounds like you are doing great. So much has happened in the 5 days I was gone. How many feedings does your lo have in 24 hours? The recommendation is to decrease the the supplements 1/2 oz @ each feed every couple of days so that your body is producing more milk. The more direct nipple stimulation the better. (You have probaby already tried everything I'm about to tell you but its what I learned). You could try to stimulate your breasts a little before you put him to the breast so he gets a letdown right away and increase the flow. Try relaxation, music, warm compresses, breast massage, pavlovs theory (sit in the same spot and have a routine), drink the fennel mixture prior to nursing. Some women especially those that have pumped for a while get an immediate let down when the hear the sound of a pump. Drinking while nursing also helps some women.

I'm sorry to hear about your dh. What are his concerns? I don't understand what he means about wanting you "back". Is he upset about the housework, cooking or not being able to go out? Have you tried to set up some mommy and daddy time? Maybe you could go out on a date or just do something together, like go on a walk or a picnic (I guess its getting a little cold for that). Maybe catch a movie or get dressed up and go to a fancy restaurant. It does take a toll on our dh's. They feel neglected and our concentration is on the baby and our milk supply. I haven't been doing that much around the house either; however, we do have a house cleaner. One thing I insisted on once the baby was born. I pay my sister to do our laundry, as she is 13 and unable to get a job but wants money for teenager type things. I try to do a lot of planning for meals. Have you ever heard of those places where you can go and make cassaroles and meals ahead of time, put them in your freezer and then cook them when you need them? They provide you with everything - food, aluminum pans, etc. You just go there, make the cassaroles and then place them in your freezer. Its home cooking but easy. Another thing you could do is look up recipes for the slow cooker. They make liners for the slow cookers so all you have to do is throw in your ingredients, cook it, eat, and then throw out the liner. All done. Just some ideas. I don't know if you tried any or if they would work.

Anyway, lunch was weird. She nursed (latched well) but she kept putting her hand by her face so I couldn't see if the SNS was drawing any milk or not. She fell asleep at the breast and then I was able to look at the SNS - she only took maybe 1/4 oz. I'm going to try again when she wakes up.

I'm not a LC yet, I have to finish my 2500 consultation hours (I have a little more than 1/2 done) and sit for the exam in July (its only offered once a year throughout the entire world).

relactatingmomforthelord- OMG I am so so happy for you! I haven't had time to check moving and all but it's great to see how far you have come! WAY to go!

corey- wow nice to see where you are! 8 oz a day is huge! and your LO nursing is awesome! the SNS didn't go well with my DS either he got more frustrated with it then without but i hope it will start to work for you!

just here to say congrats on all the excitement here and offer support! way to go girls!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Quote Originally Posted by relactatingmomforthelord View Post

Anyhow...back to BFing... my son bit me, too. (HARD!!!) Do you want to try the SNS? I think it is wonderful. It may stop the biting like Vanne said. It is no more work than cleaning bottles, and "babies learn to breastfeed by breastfeeding" to quote Dr. Jack Newman. Focus on bring back the milk if he isn't ready to nurse, yet. In fact, I still can't take my son to bed to nurse because he gets frustrated and bites. He wants the "flow" from the SNS - even though I am only putting 2 oz in it. He has no formula at his 3 am feeding and maybe none at his 6 am. I am pretty sure that I am at about 15-20 oz now, based on how much formula he is taking. I WANT to take him to bed to nurse all night to finish up this process, but I have tried all week and he just gets frustrated. Then again, I said that about nursing two weeks ago, and we are now nursing full time, so who knows. Try and try and try again.

Do you have a pump? What kind? Have you tried pumping or hand expressing? What happened? Did you get even a little? Don't worry if you didn't. If you have nothing, pump for a week, and you will!!!

By the way, I think you can't go wrong. If you just want to focus on pumping for now and getting the baby to the breast later, that is fine. If you just want to focus on learning to use the SNS that is fine. (Using the SNS will bring in a milk supply). If you are up to both, well then, who is supermom, now? (No really, if you are up to both terrific. Just don't be hard on yourself. There are no rules on this. Just do what you can and watch what happens! Take it one day at a time.)

By the way, if you pump and just get "flicks" of milk on the side of the collection bottle, pour the water you are going to use to mix with the formula in the collection bottle first, so that baby gets every drop of your milk.
    First off I have to ask what SNS is? I have a medela pump in style advance as well as a single electric avent pump. I have never had any luck with hand expressing...only with a pump. I've been starting to pump again but haven't had anything come out yet but I'm working on it =)

A SNS is a supplementer. There is a container which holds either EBM or formula. A small tube (different sizes) comes from the container and is taped to the breast allowing a small amount of the tube to hang over the nipple. As the baby nurses the SNS provides the baby with a steady stream of fluids. The great thing about the SNS is it allows the baby to provide nipple stimulation but still get supplementation.
    Here is a link so you can see what one looks like.
    http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/specialtyfdg.html

ssbeana, my suggestion would be to rent a hospital grade pump at least until you get your supply up. I would also try to pump as frequently as possible. Frequency is more important than duration. Keep us updated on your progress. I'll be waiting to hear when you start to see drops.

Corey0902 is right about the hospital grade pump. Unless you are one of those moms who is extremely sensitive to nipple stimulation, a hospital grade pump is really needed to make progress. That or hand expression -- which can work well.

I made out a daily schedule for myself when I first started. I pumped five minutes, hourly. I made a list of things for the kids to do while mom was (well, still is) pumping. Since your lo is mobile, you might be in a well baby proofed room or when he is in the high chair. But a few minutes at a time as many times a day as possible will start your milk, again.

Some adoptive moms use the SNS exclusively and don't even pump and they get a pretty good supply. With your son being older, this might be a really great way to go.

What are your thoughts? What do you want to do? What are your goals?

Quote Originally Posted by corey0902 View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your dh. What are his concerns? I don't understand what he means about wanting you "back".
    Basically it takes 10 minutes to bottle feed. It takes about an hour to feed, pump and wash dishes each time.