Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to relactate and latch

Default Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

I feel absolutely zero, none, nada competition. PLEASE know that. I don't want to be a step ahead or even think about it that way. I am so, so happy when I hear your success. Please don't hesitate to tell me everything. I am thrilled when I hear from you. Your 3 oz had nothing to do with my mood the other day. If anything, it encouraged me to know that it was possible and...

I have great news today . 1) I think I can say that I successfully averted having a period. It was 28 days on Halloween. I still haven't spotted or anything. . 2) LO slept through the night last night from 9pm to 5:30am. I got up at 3am to pump. I pumped 3 oz!!! The one other time that he slept through the night I got 1.25 oz -- that was at least a week ago, maybe more. When he woke up at 5:30, I fed him and used no formula. It felt so wonderful. After I fed him, I pumped and got nothing but a couple of drops from the side he nursed and 1/2 oz on the side he did not. (I would have offered both sides, but it was kind of an experiment to see how much I had "made" since 3am on one side and how much was "left" on the side he nursed.)

Additionally, he has not been taking as much from the SNS. Me, having so little faith, had thought that he was not eating as well. Maybe he is getting more than I think from me!!!

The lactation consultant is coming over today to look at his latch. I hope that she can fine tune our technique to make lo my best milking machine.

Y'all are doing FANTASTIC!! Keep it up!

I am so happy for both of you!

I have exciting news. I woke up this morning and felt full.
    Isn't that the best?!

Is it possible to re-lactate after not breastfeeding for 4 months? I stopped when I was unable to get away on breaks to pump when I was working. Now that I am a stay at home mom, I want to bf again but one, I have no milk and two, he won't latch on. Even if I could just pump some and give it to him in a bottle is better than not giving him any at all. I feel guilty for stopping when I did. I really wanted to bf for at least the first year. My mom bf me until I was 3.

It is possible to induce lactation if you have never given birth. I went 11 weeks without milk before I started, again. It had been four months since my baby had been at the breast, and now he is back to nursing full-time with a lactation aid. It just takes time, dedication, and patience. We will give you lots of support! You can look into herbs and medications to help bring in milk. Or not. Tiffany and Vanne did not use anything. Corey0902 and I are using several. Look back through our posts if you are interested.

Start pumping. You may even be suprised to find that you still have a few drops. If you get one drop, wipe it off and see if another drop appears. Pump as often as you can. "Power-pumping" as many times as possible in a day does wonders. (This is when you pump for ten minutes, stop for ten minutes, pump for ten minutes, stop for ten minutes - as many times as you can.) When I had no milk, I went to bed attached to my pump and slept that way. I only got away with that for about two days before I had enough milk that I couldn't do it anymore. It was just drops, but I couldn't lay down anymore. I guess I only slept attached to the pump for about two hours both nights before I woke up and took it off. Now ya'll know how truly weird I am!!!

Tell us more of your story! How old is you baby? Congratulations on comin' home. It is so wonderful to be able to be completely available to your baby? I didn't come home until my oldest was 8 months old. It felt so good. I know everyone can't and some women don't even want to, but I love it.

It is 7:30 am and my baby is sleeping. I haven't pumped since I fed him at 3am. I feel a fullness -- I am sooo tempted to pump to see how much milk I have!!! I am not going to do it, but after yesterday I REALLY want to.

Oh -- I hear him waking up. Better go feed my boy. I feel like a new woman!

I just looked at your "signature" and saw very clearly that your baby is 10 months, old. What can I say? I have four children and am easily distracted!

Sorry this is lengthy....

Well to be honest, at first when I became a stay at home mom I was a little bummed. I don't know why, I should have been happy but I wasn't. I guess it was because I loved my job and the people I worked with - except my new manager. I worked at Nordstrom as a lingerie rep. Not that I really loved fitting people for bras, but I loved my customers and having adult conversations. I knew that when I put in my two weeks notice, having people to talk to was going to come to a crashing halt.
    The reason why I quit was because my new manager told me that I need to work weekends no matter what and that I needed to find a babysitter or a daycare center! No way on earth was I going to get a babysitter (this area is shady and a lot of babysitters have gotten in trouble abandoning and abusing children - some resulting in death. And of course, daycare centers aren't open on weekends. My other reason why I quit was because I would get so busy I couldn't go to the back room to pump. My old manager wouldn't find someone to take over for me for even 10 minutes for me to pump -she was not very accommodating and was the reason why I finally gave up bf'ing due to my declining milk supply.) But of course, by the time I did finally quit working, I no longer was producing.
    Ok fast forwarding here 3 months later - though I miss my job and talking to people, I LOVE being a stay at home mom. If I were still working, I wouldn't have been there to see him rolling over for the first time, or his first attempt at a crawl, or the day he started walking! (Which he has just accomplished late last week!!!). Most of all, I miss bonding with him during our nursing sessions. I have tried multiple times to get him to nurse but he refuses..and the very few times that he has latched on, he has bit me! (He has 4 teeth now - ouch!). So I was hoping that even if I do not breastfeed him, it would at least be nice to give him more of this home grown milk =) rather than the formula I have been giving him the last few months. I did have some breast milk stored up, but I ran out 2 mos ago. I don't know where I'm evening going with this. What it boils down to is that i want to make milk again and give him what these girls were made to do. I'm sure half of this doesn't even make sense. It's 1:38am and I really should be in bed. I will edit this tomorrow so it actually makes sense

I mean to tell you relactatingmomforthelord thank you so much for supporting me. It really means a lot! I have to ask you for your secret...how do you take on 4 kids! You must be superwoman. I have enough trouble with one lol
    Last edited by sbbeana; November 7th, 2007 at 01:42 AM. Reason: typos - well it's 1:42am lol

Quote Originally Posted by sbbeana View Post
    I knew that when I put in my two weeks notice, having people to talk to was going to come to a crashing halt.
    May I suggest finding a local LLL group and attending a local meeting? You can find LLL groups all over the world using the pulldown menu on the toolbar. The support and encouragement of other breastfeeding mothers may be just what you need--and you'd get some adult conversation. Being a SAHM does not necessarily mean you have to be isolated. Try to find some mommy friends, if you can.

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    May I suggest finding a local LLL group and attending a local meeting? You can find LLL groups all over the world using the pulldown menu on the toolbar. The support and encouragement of other breastfeeding mothers may be just what you need--and you'd get some adult conversation. Being a SAHM does not necessarily mean you have to be isolated. Try to find some mommy friends, if you can.

Tiana
    I think I will check it out. I kind of feel out of place since I haven't been bf for a few months since this is a breastfeeding forum but I will go attend a meeting and see how it goes. Thanks Tiana!