Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to relactate and latch

Default Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

I'm leaving Sunday and plan on returning late Friday night. I have a medela PISA with a car adapter so I plan on pumping as often as possible. I'm staying with people I almost consider family so pumping shouldn't be an issue while I'm at their house. Considering its a lactation consultant course I would hope they would give enough breaks and have a place to pump even if its in a room with a bunch of other "pumpers".

I do try to use my lo and my experiences to teach my sister. I made sure she was in the room when I gave birth so that she could see exactly what would happen if she became pregnant. I was her age when my mother had her and I was there for her delivery. I can tell you from personal experience that watching that was one of the main reasons I waited until I was good and ready to have relations. I just kept thinking that anything could go wrong and I could end up pregnant and would have to go through that. My sister is a huge help and many times offers to watch the baby for 15-20 mins so I can pump.

I wouldn't be concerned about using the SNS out in public. If most of the woman you know breastfed then they would surely understand why your going to such great measures to get your lo at the breast and if for some reason they don't, oh well. You don't have to explain or justify yourself to anyone. Just remember that you are trying to provide the best thing for you lo and thats breastmilk @ the breast. When your out in public, no one will even see the SNS, like you said its tucked away under your shirt.

I'll have to check into the motherease brand. I was leaning towards the fuzzi bunz and maybe a few prefolds with covers. Its like I all of a sudden got into this nature/natural kick. I've been purchasing more organic products and looking on labels to see whats in certain foods and if products were tested on animals. My sister just decided to become vegetarian and brings home all sorts of literature from one of her teachers at school. I find some of the articles facinating and others horrifying.

Well, I really should get to bed. I have to get up later and get my lo's halloween custome together. She's going to be a butterfly. I can't wait! Her first one.

You can edit the title of your thread, if you wish .

ETA: I gave your thread a new, happier emoticon.
    Last edited by LLLTiana; October 30th, 2007 at 01:21 PM.

How do I edit the title of my thread?

Go to the first post in your thread, and click "edit" in the bottom right hand corner. Then choose, "go advanced", and you should be able to edit the title of your thread. If it doesn't work for you for some reason, I can do it for you too. Just let me know what you'd like the new title to be .

Tiana

Hey, I like the new emoticon -- and we got a five star rating! Whoa!

I think our new title should be successful relactators, what do you think relactatingmomforthelord? Although we don't have a full supply, I know we're well on our way.

I've been thinking about how you said the motilium worked better for me than it did you and I think one of the reasons for this is because I do a lot of my pumping during the night when your body has a natural rise in prolactin. During these hours are my prime pumping times, which might explain it. I'm getting about 1- 1/2 oz everytime I pump and sometimes I see more if its been longer than 2-3 hours. I am coming home in the morning with at least one full bottle of milk. I love looking in the fridge and see breastmilk containers with more than just a few drops.

So I'm curious to hear how you homeschooling support group meeting went? Did anyone notice the SNS or did you tell them about your recent struggles to relactate? What was their response? I hope you found more support than dirty looks or rude comments!

So I went ahead and ordered some pocket diapers. I paid extra for express mail cause I'm so excited to start using them. I can't wait till they come. I just thought about it and they're going to arrive when I'm away. Hopefully my dh will use some before I get home.

Well, I better go. I need to go meet my dd at my mother in laws house so we can go trick or treating, she's going to be a pretty butterfly. I'll have to take a picture and post it for you. I would love to see pics of your los dressed up (if you celebrate).

Hope all is going well!

I have exciting news. I woke up this morning and felt full. I haven't felt that way in months. I pumped and got 3 oz in one session. It must have been all that halloween candy. I hope this keeps up. I'm curious to see what my daily total will be.

Three ounces? Are you serious? That is AMAZING to me. Corey, this is great. I am so glad that this is happening for you!!! Let me know what your total is! I am really excited.

I didn't go to the meeting. I didn't for two reasons. I didn't want to skip pumping and I didn't feel like I had any clothes that did not require me to show my belly. You might think that I am silly, but I just was embarrassed.

I went after lo's PT to the mall and bought a few winter nursing shirts as a gift to myself. It felt really good. I got rid of all my summer nursing shirts after I felt like I failed so utterly. (I couldn't stand even having them in the house.) In reality, he just had so many issues, that he couldn't nurse. I am so happy to be wearing "nursing wear" again.

To tell the truth I am struggling. I am a little bit bummed today and feel like it is an attack. I got Dr. Newman's Ultimate Guide to Breastfeeding from the library. It says that induced lactation takes on average 3 weeks. I have been working on this for five and I am only meeting about 1/4 of his needs.

So, when I am being attacked, I have to speak truth over it. I am giving my son about 1/4 of his needs -- way more than five weeks ago (0%). I have moved from taking Benadryl and using a PIS (and getting nowhere) to stopping Benadryl, getting a hospital pump, and now actually breastfeeding my son. This is huge progress. It has taken longer than I thought, but I knew from the beginning that God was blessing me with this trail to teach me perseverence.

I found out from the book, that we still do not have the ideal latch. I worked with him last night on getting more of the aereola into his mouth. I have rather large breast and he was taking a little bit more than the nipple. I think that we improved last night. He latches on and I reach underneath his mouth and force open his lower jaw to get him to take in more tissue.

So it may be that it is going to be three weeks from now (getting a good latch) that I am enjoying exclusively nursing my son.

I am thinking about weaning from the domperodine and seeing if I can maintain the supply I currently have. Then reintroducing it and seeing if I can get my supply up higher. I don't know. It is just a thought.

P.S. Yes, we had a great Halloween. Baby was a pumpkin. DD was a princess. DSs were a pirate and an airline pilot. It felt good to get out of the house.

So my total was almost 6 oz, a whole bottle. Now that was in a 24 hour period. The days I have off before work I stay up until lo goes to bed, then get maybe 2 hours sleep and then work all night. I'm tired the next morning but at least I get to see my lo all day. I started hand expressing after pumping and I get another 1/4 oz sometimes.

I'm sorry to hear you were bummed today. It was great that you were able to treat yourself. Just keep your head up and whenever you feel down just remember where you were 5 weeks ago. I think your probably right. You should start to see an increase in your supply now that you have your lo at the breast and latched properly. An improper latch won't help increase your supply. What does the LC say about his latch now that he's back at the breast. Sometimes, you need a third hand to help. Your still one step ahead of me. I can't wait to have my lo back at the breast.

I switched her back to the bottles that she hates. She gets so frustrated with them. They are called breastflow by first years. They mimic the breast and have a real slow flow. I figured at least dh can get her use to the slower flow so that when I try her at the breast in 2 weeks she'll be use to that.

Well, have to go for now. Will try to write again at work.

Go girl, go!!! You said that your lo only takes 18 oz, right? YOU ARE ONE THIRD OF THE WAY THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeehaw!!!