Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempting to relactate and latch

Default Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

I'm sorry I was gone for the past 2 days and unable to lend support. I'm glad to hear your back on track.

I worked 12 hour shifts and then got mandated to work another 4 hours. I was barely able to pump. There just wasn't any time. The bus full of pregnant woman stopped at our hospital and they all got off. We went from a census of 3 to 12 in two days. I was really depressed because I spent many hours helping women through their labor, delivery and then last night I took care of 12 post partum moms. Four of them were nursing mothers and it killed me to go into their rooms and help them get their baby latched when I can't get mine to latch at home. I just wanted to cry. It was even more frustrating when a mother called out (who was bottle feeding) complaining that she was leaking milk all over the place. I wish I was leaking!
    Relactingmomforthelord, I just have to keep reading your encouraging words to make it easier for me to move forward. I am so happy to hear your getting 2-3 oz a day. I'm still at about 1/8 to 1/4 oz but at least I know its possible. I know I'm not pumping enough but I don't know when or what else to do.

I felt bad the other night because I was asking my coworkers to cover me telling them I had to use the restroom just so I could hand express milk for about 1-2 minutes. I don't even know if it was worth it but thats all I could do.

By the way, thanks for the advice about pumping in the car. I am definitely going to have to take advantage of that time as it takes me about 25-30 minutes to get to work. Going into work won't be bad because I work night shift, but driving home will be interesting. The road I travel is covered with truckers.

I'm trying to keep my head up but its hard when all I'm getting is drops. I wish I could take a long vacation and just spend some bonding time with my lo but my time off is already sceduled. To make matters worse I'm sceduled to be away from my lo the first week of November to attend a lactation consultant course 2 states away. I plan on having all the acquired hours and sitting for the certification test in July. I was really happy about going to the course but now I just see it as an obstacle in my relactating plans. Sorry to be so depressing that just how I feel right now. I need to see my lo that will raise my spirits. She can always bring a smile to my face no matter how bad the day. I'm call Grandma and see what she's doing.

I am so glad to hear from you! I was worried that you had given up. I KNOW that those trips to the bathroom to hand express told your body to not let go of that milk.

I just read a technique today about increasing milk supply. It said to pump every two or three hours but spend one hour each day pumping for 12 minutes, taking a 10 minute break and then again pumping for 12 minutes, etc for the hour. I am thinking that both those 25-30 minute car rides would be your hour!!!

I would have just screamed at that silly mother wasting her most precious gift to her little one and bottle feeding! I would have been fired. Bless your sweet soul. I didn't realize that you worked maternity.

You know, I have bottle feed all of my four children. It also is a wonderfully intiment time. We are both going to give our lo our milk and every drop makes a difference. You are a great mom. I just loved the way you described how your daughter makes you feel. I am so impressed that you are working so hard. Hang in there!!!

Okay, that whole bottle feeding bit I wrote may have come off totally wrong. I have great faith in you. I just meant that right now that is where we both are and it is just so wonderful to hold and love and feed our lo even if it is not at the breast, yet.

(Just so you know, my first two children were our foster children before we were able to adopt, so nursing was completely out of the question -- it is illegal. Then my biological daughter had severe oral aversion from a traumatic deep suctioning and really just wanted me to syringe feed her. I pumped exclusively for her for quite awhile.)

Love you girl.

Smile Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

Corey0902,
    I couldn't get you off my mind all night last night. I have been intensely praying for you. I think that there is a LLL Mother-to-Mother Forum about breastfeeding and the law. I would go there and find out what your rights are while at work. If the hospital is requiring you to attend this lactation training, it sounds like they would be pro-breastfeeding. Could you go to your head nurse and tell her that your milk supply is low from not being able to pump enough and that you have looked at the laws and want to work with her to figure out how to feed your daughter? (She does not need to know that you are relactating, you know?).

You said that you work 12 hour shifts? There is a silver lining there. Do you work 3 or 4 days a week? On you days off, you can really hit it hard on increasing your supply then on your work days, you can pump as often as possible to maintain. When my daughter wouldn't nurse, I was able to maintain my supply pumping only 4-5 times a day. It may take a little longer, but it will happen. Once you get the Motillium, it will keep your prolactin levels up even when you have to go longer between pumping. The Motillium doesn't tell my body to increase milk, only taking the milk out does that, but it does help the hormones in the right direction.

So on a work day, would you pump before you get ready for work, again in the car, three or four times at work (which would include during a lunch break with a sack lunch?) in a twelve hour period. Again on the way home from work (You can do it! No one will know!) -- that's 5 in 14 hours. What do you think?

Hope your census goes down. Love you!

My work schedule is just like you said I work 4 days out of the week two 8 hr shifts and two 12 hr shifts, then I get 3 days off. The only problem is that my days off aren't always in a row. With working nights its difficult not to switch back to days so that I can spend more time with my lo. Therefore, I am either staying up over 24 hours or I go home and take a nap for a few hours then pick my lo up, but I'm still so tired. So resting, which contributes to my milk supply, is better somedays than others. I wish I could just get a job working days or even go parttime. Going part time is in the works.

Currently I'm a traveler, which means that I am taking 13 weeks contracts at a facility which is extremely short staffed. The pay is more than twice as much as a staff nurse which is helping me to pay off bills so that I can eventually go part time. My supervisor is extremely supportive but the staff is so short that although its the law to get a lunch and a certain amount of breaks, it just doesn't happen. If I demand to take one, my pt suffers the consequences and I could ultimately lose my nursing license for abandoning my pt. I kind of new what I was getting myself into, I just didn't realize it was that bad. The staff nurses are required to work 5-6 days a week (80 hours in 2 weeks is considered FT, and then they have call slots (2-3 per week). Most of the time they are working their regular shift, getting called in when were busy and on top of that mandated to stay if its busy at the end of their shift and there's not enough nursing staff to safely care for the pts. Sometimes they are working 16 hours shifts many days out of the week. The staff is extremely upset and more and more nurses are leaving, thus making the situation even worse. I've only been there since June and 4 people on night shift alone have left.

Anyway, enough about that. I think the schedule you described would work better for me and would be alot more manageable than trying to pump every hour. Like you said in a previous post, I dread even thinking about pumping. I could definitely pump every 2-3 hours and do one "power pump" on my way to work. I could just leave a little early and do it in the car. Now you got me all excited. I can do that!!

I am going to talk to my manager despite the fact that were busy I should be able to somehow find a way to at least pump twice on my 8 hr shift night and three times on my 12 hr shifts. We have central monitoring so there is no reason why I can't attach myself to my pump and watch the monitor from a room across the hall and if there was some kind of problem with the baby I can quickly detach myself and run across the hall. (As long as we have rooms available). When I left this am, there were no rooms on the whole unit. They were rushing the discharges out, apologizing to them as we walked them to their cars.

Have you ever heard about the whisper pump? Supposedly its a pump that you fit into your bra and can wear it while you do things. There's no tubing or wires. You just fit it into your bra and people don't even know your pumping. They took it off the market and its suppose to return in November, something about they were improving the model. I thought that would be great if it worked like it said it did. Then I wouldn't have to worry about where I was. Let me know if you ever heard of it, pros and cons, etc.

Well I better get to sleep. Your praying must have worked because I feel much better today than yesterday. Keep me updated on your progress as it keeps me looking ahead. Thanks for all your prayer and support. Just one more thing, I have the next 4 days off and my lo and I are going to spend every minute of it together. I can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by corey0902 View Post
    Have you ever heard about the whisper pump? Supposedly its a pump that you fit into your bra and can wear it while you do things. There's no tubing or wires. You just fit it into your bra and people don't even know your pumping. They took it off the market and its suppose to return in November, something about they were improving the model. I thought that would be great if it worked like it said it did. Then I wouldn't have to worry about where I was. Let me know if you ever heard of it, pros and cons, etc.
    Yup...such a pump exists. A mother in our local LLL group used one to successfully pump for 8 months while working at a very non-breastfeeding friendly factory. She continued to breastfeed her son while they were together until after his second birthday.

Tiana, do you know if the Whisper pump is very powerful? I couldn't even gain progress with a PIS. I am doing great with the symphony. I know every one is different. That pump sounds really ideal for the amount of pumping required to do this!

I may be wrong, but I really think I am somewhere between 4-6 oz at this point!

I am not familiar enough with Whisper Wear to make a judgement on it's power. You might want to post a question in the pumping forum to see if anyone there has used it and can give you their feedback. The upside to it, of course, is that you don't have to be sitting still (i.e. not working) to pump.

4-6oz is really great progress, mama! Keep up the good work!

Tiana

4-6 oz is great. I'm so excited for you. My motilium arrived today. I just have to pick it up @ the post office. I'm going to start taking it this evening. I can't wait to get back on track again.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Relactatingmomforthelord, are you going to post the question about the whisper pump on the pumping forum or should I? I'm really interested in hearing if it works. That would be great if it did. Then I wouldn't have any obstacles.

Default Whisper Pump

You go ahead. I can't afford to spend the money on it. I really think that it may be just what you need! You said there is a new improved version coming out in November? I couldn't find any info on it online. Just the old version. I wonder what the differences are. I read some reviews of the old one with mixed opinions, you know, I think that is how it is with everything! Some people loved it, some not so much.

Have you been to the post office, yet? Let me know how the next 72 hours go. I am SOOOO glad that it came during your off days. How much are you thinking about taking? I am going with Dr. Newman's recommendations over Dr. Hale's.

Ok, my LC is suggesting I change from a Playtex Natural Latch to a Second Nature nipple. I am not sure if I should do this or just do finger feeding. He doesn't bring his tongue forward over the gumline. And he hurts when he nurses. Sometimes biting but mostly just bad sucking. I am supposed to help push his tongue forward with my finger using moderate pressure. I am still trying to figure out how to do this without gagging him. We have come this far, we are going to go all the way. Somehow!

I am going to a new physical therapist on Monday that has helped babies with their sucking in the past. I think I am going to hold off on buying even more things until I talk to the PT.

He doesn't yet stay latched long enough to supplement at the breast. That is my next hurdle. I guess I am just trying to decide whether or not my time is best spent bring up the milk supply or training baby to use supplementer.

On the one hand, if he would take the supplementer, that would be milk stimulation, on the other hand, only if it is an effective suck -- and if the milk is already THERE he can learn what works to get it out.

I have gotten him in the habit of turning to nurse after many of his bottles, even if it is just for a brief time. I feel like we are making progress. Slow progress, but progress.

I am really learning what it means to persist/endure. The last thing I felt like doing today was pumping. I did it anyway. I am going to keep doing it anyway. This too shall pass......