Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempting to relactate and latch

Default Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

I'm sorry your sweet girl spiked a temp. I just hate how many vaccines they get at once. I think it is a good sign though when they get a fever (I mean in that it is working, not in how horrible they feel). I am not looking forward to my son's. He was in such bad shape at two months old that we decided to start shots at 4 months. He spiked a pretty good temp with the very first round. So, it will probably just get worse from there.

Yes, the Motilium is SOOOOOO much better because it does not cross the blood brain barrier. In fact I am not seeing any side effects. (I have a list of potential side effects posted on my refrigerator). I can't believe the FDA took the oral off the market, too. I read and read and read and prayed and prayed and prayed before I started it because I am very conservative about anything I put in my body - even more so with the baby. I want to wean off of it just as soon as I can. I know that there are many moms on this site that didn't use it at all, so it is possible to do with just stimulation. I have 4 children 6 and under, so I decided I wanted the "extra help." I prayed for a prescription and got one. So I decided I would try it.

Has your milk increased since being on the Reglan? I was so anxious that my milk couldn't increase because of the anxiety. If you have not seen an increase, you might want to stop it all together. I really didn't know how bad I was feeling until I STOPPED and suddenly felt so different -- it only took about 12 hours to become "me" again. In fact, I really blame the Reglan for quiting nursing in the first place.

Oh yeah... I asked my sister-in-law who nursed all three of her children while working nights. She said that she did not have a problem with milk supply even though she had her two schedules (stayed up during day when she was not working). Thought that would encourage you!

You sound like an awesome mom. You are very loving and caring. What a blessed little girl you have.

I stopped the reglan all together and saw a slight decrease in my supply. I know what you mean about the anxiety. I noticed an immediate difference. I'm still taking fenugreek, blessed thistle and eating an insane amount of oatmeal. I'm waiting for the motilium to arrive. How quickly did you see an increase once you started taking it? About how much are you pumping and when did you start your relactation process? I'm barely covering the bottom of the container when I pump. I feel like I do better if I hand express. Have you heard of the accelerated program for relactation which involves taking birth control and motilium? Haven't heard of anyone trying it. I'm not sure if its suppose to be meant for adoptive mothers trying to lactate. I almost sounds like it simulates a pregnancy. I'm just feeling a little discouraged because I spend most of my day attached to the pump and I barely get any milk. I'm praying that my lo will latch even for 2 seconds just to give me some encouragement. This week is going to be difficult as I work the next 5 nights and then I have a four day weekend. I'm planning on spending most of that time skin to skin with my lo and just do everything together.

Thanks for all your support. Everytime I need a little encouragement I just think of you and it gets me through the tough patches. Its even more encouraging to hear that you can do it with 4 los. God bless you. You must have a really busy house. Thats great. I'm looking forward to having more children in the future, as soon as I conquer this quest we'll move forward with those plans.

One quick question, have you ever pumped in the car? If so, how do you do that and drive? I've heard of so many people doing it I'm just not sure how it works. Aren't you afraid someone will see your top half?

You wrote: "Everytime I need a little encouragement I just think of you and it gets me through the tough patches. "

I can only say "right back at ya' girl!"

I asked my lactation consultant the same thing about taking "the pill" with the motilium. She said that since I had given birth and had some milk that I had "all the equipment." I had hoped that maybe taking "the pill" and domperidone would create an instant milk supply (like when I gave birth). I found out that this is not so. The only way to relactate is the slow and steady way that we are doing it.

If you are feeling better off the Reglan, I bet that continuing to pump, pump, pump will get you back to where you were, and then when you get the domperidone it will give you a little boost in 3-5 days. It has not been dramatic for me.

However, I have moved from 1 drop to ~2 oz in 16 days of hourly pumping. I feel really good about this.

Yes, I pump in the car. I have both a rented symphony pump and a pump in style that a friend let me have. I have a car adapter for the pump in style. It is not as good as the symphony, but it is a double pump for the car. (I hear that you can get an adapter for the symphony as well, but I can only spend so much money, you know?)

Anyway, take two rubber bands and four safety pins. Put one rubber band around the neck of each flange and safety pin it to your bra in two places. You have a hands-free kit? I pump for 5-10 minutes then turn it off at the next stop light. Then turn it back on in 5 minutes. Sometimes, I have to pull over and dry off the insides so I can keep getting milk. You have to lean over.

Unhappy Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

Okay, my turn to need encouragement.

I am bummed today. I am getting tired of pumping all the time. I wrote to Dr. Jack Newman about the possibility of a domperidone rash and he answered me chastising me for pumping instead of focusing on latching the baby and using a supplementer. I REALLY want to do this. To his credit, he very generously sent me the chapters from his not yet published book "The Latch" to help me. I appreciate that. And wow, that he takes the time to send back personal replies. It is just amazing. Very generous.

I just wish I was not so deflated. I know that this takes time and I am not giving up. I guess I am vassilating at being amazed that I have any milk at all and being frustrated that I work so hard for 2-3 oz of milk a day.

Vanne, Tiffany, everyone else, how many more weeks? What do you think?

Hang in there! 3oz a day is great! You're over the hump.

Are you against using a supplementer?

Over the hump? what does that mean? It sounds good, though!!! Does that mean it gets faster? PPPPLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE say yes!!!!

I would love to use a supplementer. Could you tell my lo? He seems to be against it. I am not giving up. It is just so emotional.
    Last edited by relactatingmomforthelord; October 15th, 2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: More to say

I just read your question about the car Corey0902. I use a blanket to cover up. I am so modest. I can't imagine how embarrassing that would be!!!

I was pumping today on my way to the doctor for this poison ivy and I did the drive thru at McDonald's to get the kids something to eat. I can't believe that I didn't even turn the pump off!!!

No one noticed. I swear they didn't suspect a thing.

2-3 oz a day is wonderful! once i started getting more milk i didn't always have to pump every hour like i was. i had times where i went 3 but not many but sometimes the break was good while out and about too.

over the hump means that now that you are up that much your supply will really tend to finally start increasing at a faster rate. i know pumping is hard and trying when constantly doing it, but trust me when i say you would rather work hard now and get your supply up faster then have many more weeks of a slower increase and you are doing such a great job!!!

i'm not sure how much longer it will take. but i agree try the supplementer if you can, if not have you tried to get little one to latch? Aidan would NOT latch until i used the nipple shield and while many were against it, in the long run for me i wanted him at the breast with a shield then not at the breast at all, and once he was used to it i was able to gradually wean from it anyway.

goodluck! i'm hoping for you!
    ~*TiffanyJewel*~
    Happily Married !
    SAHM to my two beautiful boys
    Ethan my sweet big boy! born 9-9-04
    Aidan my little nursling! (relactation) born
    5-2-06!
    Natalie Jewel Our Valentine! Born
    2-14-08
    *Relactation- a labor or Love*

Okay, I am completely back on track today. I mean I didn't stop anything yesterday, just no more boo-hoos from me.

I got really focused in scripture. This is not just about giving my lo the best, it is also because I need to grow. I have a poster in my sons' room that says "Dreams are not something to wait for, but something to work for." I have not been able to stand that poster for the past two months. Then, I decided that it wasn't the poster I despised it was myself.

"Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. -- 2 Corinthians 7:9-11"
    I can either feel sorry for myself for the past (worldly sorrow) or I can look to the Lord, feeling sorrow and ask Him to guide me along this path with full hope (godly sorrow).

And He always gives a second chance: "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland. -- Isaiah 43:18-19

"I am REALLY focusing on the word "streams" in that one!!!

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light -- Matthew 11:28-30"

He means it. This is tedious work, but when I turn on the music or play with the kids, it really isn't that hard. When I pray about it I feel such a since of peace about how I am spending my time.

"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perserverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us. -- Romans 5:1-5"

I am not just building up a milk supply for my baby, I am learning perseverance, character, and hope. I am growing into the servant God wants me to be.

And last of all: (The one I forgot yesterday...)
    Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own -- Matthew 6:34

Love you all! Thanks for the encouragement yesterday. I'm back!!!