Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Attempting to relactate and latch

Cool Attempting to relactate and latch

I had every intention of breastfeeding my lo for at least a year but due to traveling an hour away and working 12 hour shifts as a L&D nurse in an extremely busy hospital I gave into more and more supplementations. At work I had little time to pump (even though all my coworkers and boss were extremely supportive). When I came home, I was too tired to pump and everyones answer to my extreme fatique was to take a nap and they (my family) would feed the baby. It sounded like a great idea as my milk supply was dwindling and rest was important in keeping up my supply. I felt like I was working harder and harder and spending more and more time away from my lo in an effort to pump 1-2 ozs, at most, per session. I tried fenugreek, blessed thistle and mothers milk tea. After 4 1/2 months I let my small supply dry up. Every since then I felt like something was missing. My husband and I went away for a few days over our anniversary and he kept asking me what was wrong. I told him that I missed nursing our baby and wished I'd had never given up. To my surprise, he was very supportive of my decision to relactate. (My husband and I still argue over who gets to hold the baby or play with her, so he was very happy when he was able to start feeding her)

Currently, my lo is 6 1/2 m.o. I am eating oatmeal as often as possible. I take fenugreek, blessed thistle and reglan. I just ordered motilium as the reglan is suppose to be a short term thing and it makes me very restless and unable to concentrate. I am pumping at least every 2 hours while awake and try to power pump at least once a day. Again, to my surprise I guess my milk supply hadn't completely dried up as I get about 1/8 - 1/4 oz with each pumping session. I recently took a job closer to home which isn't nearly as busy allowing me to pump more regularly at work and see my lo more often. I think I'm on my way to increasing my supply. My only problem is my lo won't come near my breasts. She'll nustle next to me, lay on me, and allow me to comfort her but as soon as I place her in a nursing position she starts to cry. We've been sleeping together as often as possible ( I forgot to mention that I work nights), bathe together and I try to spend as much time with skin to skin contact. I ordered a SNS in attempt to get her back to the breast to increase my supply, but is there anything else I can do to get her to take the breast? At night she takes a pacifier and I don't know how to break her of that because as soon as it falls out she wakes up and cries. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I miss the feeling that only I as her mother can nurse her. If that never occurs I'll be happy just knowing that I am providing her with my "liquid gold" but I desperately miss holding her close to my body, looking down and watching her nurse. Thats the best feeling in the world and I miss it terribly! Why did I ever give up?

Default Re: Attempting to relactate and latch

Hello and welcome ,

It sounds like you're working hard and making good progress in your relactation effort. Good for you! There are other mothers here that are also relactating, and I'm sure they'll be a great support group for you. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for more relactation resources.

Have you tried introducing the breast at night while she is sleeping--at those times when the paci falls out? Sometimes babies who are reluctant to nurse when they are awake are more willing when drowsy. Conversely, it might be a good idea to try when she is awake and in a good mood, but not ravinously hungry. She has become used to the fast flow of the bottle, and milking the breast requires a different kind of sucking.

Even if she never nurses directly again, pumping and giving her your milk--even in small quantities--is a great gift for you to be able to give your baby. It is worth the effort.

Keep up the great work, mama!

Tiana

Yea! Someone else who is pumping! We are at about the same point in this journey! I am taking motilium, fenugreek, blessed thistle and pumping about the same amount as you are. (Actually, you are a little furthar along than I am, I think.)

We are going to support each other through this! And celebrate each baby step!

I'm glad there is someone else who is traveling down the same bumpy road. Hopefully we can keep each other spirits up as I know this is going to be a a difficult journey.

Tiana, I'll try to introduce the breast at night but its going to be difficult as I work from 11p-7a. I put her to bed each night so maybe I can at least try during those first few hours. I'll try that over the next couple of nights and let you know how I make out. Do you think she'll become upset because I don't have a lot of milk or am I just hoping that she'll nurse for comfort?

I'm willing to try anything and do anything to increase my supply and get my lo back to the breast so any other suggestions from mom's who have either successfully or unsuccessfully relactated, please let me know how you made out.

Quote Originally Posted by corey0902 View Post
    Do you think she'll become upset because I don't have a lot of milk or am I just hoping that she'll nurse for comfort?
    At this point, nursing for comfort would be a realistic goal. Once she gets practiced at nursing, hopefully she will realize "Hey, there's milk here!".

Your determination is to be applauded. Keep up the good work!

Tiana

and and for your determination!

I feel like there is another "me" when I read your posts. I am a stay at home mom, but other than that, it is strikingly similar.

Okay, even if your lo cries or fights when you offer, do it anyway. NOT to fight with her, just to offer. You may feel like it is pointless, but keep offering. Just go without a shirt whenever you hold her, feed her, lay down with her, whatever. I know it is easier said than done. I am preaching to myself, too.

Look at it like this. The first time that you offer her pureed carrots, she will look at you like "yuck! what are you doing to me?!?!" But we don't say, "Oh, well, I guess you will never learn to eat food." NO WAY!!! We keep offering and over time they learn to eat and really enjoy it.

Our babies are going to be the same way at the breast. I offered my son the breast four different times yesterday. He cried and rejected four times. He even bit me. He didn't want to. I didn't make him, as this can cause an aversion, but I offered.

My spirits were pretty low. I thought, "okay, okay. Just focus on making milk by pumping. With more milk, he may come to the breast, but at least he is getting milk." -- which is more than I could say last week.

Anyway, he rooted last night at bedtime after he had his bottle. I didn't have a shirt on and he just latched on and nursed for several minutes as if we did this all the time! He hadn't shown any indication of wanting to nurse for three days. I know he even got a little milk because I heard swallows. Not more than a few drops, but I could sense him thinking, "Hey, I kind of like this."

Anyway, he did it again at 2 am.

He may not take the breast again for another week, but I am going to keep offering it and I think each time he is learning.

Tiffany Jewel said there were entire weeks when her lo rejected the breast. And now they are a full time nursing pair. Don't stop offering. I KNOW it can be heart wrenching. But just think about me out there and know that there is another mom in the same situation and we ARE going to do this together. DON"T GIVE UP. We both know how awful we felt when we weren't trying, right?

Thank you for your support and encouragement relactatingmomforthelord. I was so happy to hear that your lo latched on last night. It gives me hope that soon I will be able to say the same thing.

Last night we took a bath together and then just cuddled in bed. I did offer her the breast but she just cried. I tried to be tricky and offered her the breast when her pacifier fell out but she's too smart for that. I'm determined to keep trying I'm just scared that she'll form an aversion. As soon as I put her in any position to offer the breast she cries. Do I keep trying to place my breast in her mouth? I'm not sure how much is too much! I understand your point about the carrots but at least with them I can get them in her mouth before she spits them out, with the breast she's crying before I get that far.

Today I've been very diligent with pumping, almost every hour. My lo had several vaccines this morning so she's been sleeping for most of the day. I have yet to see an increase in my supply but I guess that comes with time. How much milk are you getting? I'm waiting for my motilium to arrive, it seems like its taking forever.

I have a question for anyone who might be in the same situation as me with pumping and working nights. When I work nights I pump as frequently as I can then come home and sleep from about 8a-2p. Then I try to pump a few times before work but this in the only time I get to spend with my lo so sometimes its only 2 times. When I have off I switch my schedule to days and pump more frequently during the day so I can sleep with my dh and lo. At this point I'm not pumping during the night. Do you think this is totally screwing my body up. Should I be getting up and pumping during the night or vise versa? I'm up more at night than the day as I work fulltime. Hopefully someone out there has worked a similar schedules and pumped as often as I am. Any advice would be great.

I do think that our bodies respond best to a schedule, but I think that the
    key is emptying them to stimulate "make more."

I am noticing that your e-mail sounds a little more frantic than the previous ones. How long have you been on Reglan? Since Reglan crosses the blood-brain barrier it can really turn on the anxiety. Ask your hubby if he is noticing anything. If not, please don't be offended by me. I just went absolutely nuts on the stuff, and would hate to see you do the same.

Baby crying... I want to write more soon, though...

Thats funny that you mentioned it. I feel frantic and restless on the stuff so I decreased the dose today and plan on decreasing it again tomorrow. I also have trouble concentrating and don't feel like myself, like paranoid or something. Thats one of the reasons why I ordered the motilium. Its suppose to have less side effects. I wish it was here already.

I think the other reason I might sound so frantic is because I always worry when my lo gets her vaccines. She always gets a temp and I hate having to worry about whether or not its going to go high enough that I have to take her to the ER. Like tonight, its up to 102.3 rectally and the doc said just to give her more tylenol, sponge bathe her and watch it. If it goes any higher to call. So another night of staring at her all night long wondering if she feels warmer than she did 5 minutes ago. Sorry to rant on, I just get so worried. First time mom, can you tell? On top of that a nurse, who is clueless about being a mom! Just trying to do my best and hope it'll all work out in the end.

I'm going to try and keep more of a schedule if I can but its difficuly. Hopefully my body will adjust. Thanks again for your help.