Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Some concerns & questions

Default Some concerns & questions

There are a few things on my mind that I need help and/or answers for.

1) When will my supply balance out with my daughter's demand? She will be a month old in a few days, and while I'm not at all engorged or in actual pain, I do frequently feel uncomfortably full and on the brink of pain. I pump once daily, to freeze milk for future occasional use. This helps a lot when I'm feeling very full...brings me to question 2.

2) Will my once daily pumping cause me to make more milk than what my daughter needs, and therefore make me unbalanced with her? Will it cause me to continue feeling the uncomfortable fullness I described before?

3) When will I stop leaking all of the time? I leak from one breast while she nurses from the other, from both breasts when I feel the let-down even when I'm not nursing, and even when I sleep sometimes. Earlier today, I was so full on both sides that I leaked so much so that my washable pads didn't do any good...my bra and shirt got wet anyway.

4) When will I stop getting the let-down at just any ol' time? I could be walking thru Walmart, just shopping, and I'll feel the strong tingling/burning sensation and then I'll start leaking.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions in the near future. This whole breastfeeding thing is fulfilling, but I've found it's a lot of work to get it going and keep it going!

Default Re: Some concerns & questions

[COLOR="Magenta"]I can't tell ya when you will stop leaking. I just finally stopped leaking 6 weeks ago and my daughter is almost 9 months old. Just thinking about my baby would cause me to start leaking or hearing another baby cry would cause me to start leaking. Several weeks ago when I had my son at the Dr.'s office (baby was at home) he started crying b/c he had an infection in his toe and was in pain. While at the Dr.'s office I started leaking really bad b/c of him crying. When my daughter was 2 months old I went to a funeral and ended up leaking without me knowing it, until my mom asked me if I was leaking some and yup, I sure was leaking and I didn't have on a pad at the time.
    As for your other concerns someone should pop by with advice for you.
    Congrats on the new baby!!![

I'm sure I'll think of more questions in the near future. This whole breastfeeding thing is fulfilling, but I've found it's a lot of work to get it going and keep it going! I agree it is a lot of work but totally worth it. I don't know how many times I just wanted to give up. Your doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    There are a few things on my mind that I need help and/or answers for.

1) When will my supply balance out with my daughter's demand? She will be a month old in a few days, and while I'm not at all engorged or in actual pain, I do frequently feel uncomfortably full and on the brink of pain. I pump once daily, to freeze milk for future occasional use. This helps a lot when I'm feeling very full...brings me to question 2

2) Will my once daily pumping cause me to make more milk than what my daughter needs, and therefore make me unbalanced with her? Will it cause me to continue feeling the uncomfortable fullness I described before?
    The more she eats the more milk you make, the less she eats the less milk you make. I know some women who pump and feed have an over supply issue, but I am not sure if 1 pump session will casue that.

3) When will I stop leaking all of the time? I leak from one breast while she nurses from the other, from both breasts when I feel the let-down even when I'm not nursing, and even when I sleep sometimes. Earlier today, I was so full on both sides that I leaked so much so that my washable pads didn't do any good...my bra and shirt got wet anyway.
    I still leak. Not everytime, but most of the time. I think this may have something to do with your over supply.

4) When will I stop getting the let-down at just any ol' time? I could be walking thru Walmart, just shopping, and I'll feel the strong tingling/burning sensation and then I'll start leaking.
    You won't. Or at least I haven't. When I am nursing often it doesn't happen as random, but when I am at work it does. How old is your lo and how often does baby eat?
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

She's almost 1 month old, in just a couple of days. Generally, she eats every couple of hours...however, she will sleep sometimes for 3 hours or more before I end up waking her up to feed her. And when she does eat, she does so very quickly, usually nursing for around 5 minutes. She stops herself when she's done and will either go back to sleep or just stay awake for a little while, just being in that "happy place"!

I don't think she has ever stayed on long enough to actually empty a breast (which is what I've read she "should" do). I just let her stay on however long or little she wants. Sometimes, if I'm very full before she eats, I usually feel some better afterwards, but still have enough milk left over to make me want to pump it out. Should I do this, when I'm trying to create a balance with her? When she doesn't eat enough to relieve me, should I pump out the rest to get full relief or just let it remain?

1) When will my supply balance out with my daughter's demand?
    It's different for everyone, but you're still early into this BFing thing. It usually takes 6 weeks for BFing to even be considered "well-established," and after that you will encounter growth spurts that change your milk supply as needed. So you will probably go through phases where your supply evens out for a while, then ramps up as your LO nurses more, then evens out, and so on. I think I started to feel more even around 3 mos, although I still go back and forth based on what Haley's doing at the time. Your body produces milk based on the amount of stimulation it receives. If you nurse or pump more, your body will make more milk. If you nurse or pump less, it will make less milk. Pumping regularly [ETA: in addition to regular BFing] can increase your supply unnecessarily. If you don't need to build a freezer stash for going back to work, I'd recommend pumping only very occasionally if you want a little BM on hand. Otherwise, your body will make enough milk for all the nursing AND the pumping.

3) When will I stop leaking all of the time?
    Again, everyone is different. Some mamas stop leaking after a few months, some don't stop leaking until baby is weaned! My leaking decreased considerably as my supply evened out. I still leak just a tiny bit while nursing on the other side, but it's only a drop or two and is easily stopped with a little pressure on the nipple. If I am fuller, I leak a little more. If I'm not overly full, I may not leak at all.

4) When will I stop getting the let-down at just any ol' time?
    Different for everyone. Getting tired of hearing that? Up until a month or so ago I would get random letdowns, but now I very rarely do. This may have to do with supply evening out, but all in all, it's just another individual thing based on your own body's inclinations. If you feel a letdown and you're in an inconvenient place, bring your forearms up over your breasts (just looks like you're crossing your arms) and apply some pressure to the nipples. The leaking will stop after a bit.

Sometimes, if I'm very full before she eats, I usually feel some better afterwards, but still have enough milk left over to make me want to pump it out. Should I do this, when I'm trying to create a balance with her? When she doesn't eat enough to relieve me, should I pump out the rest to get full relief or just let it remain?
    This pumping is probably why you're feeling you have an oversupply. By pumping the rest of the milk out, you're telling your body to make more milk. If you don't pump the rest, your body will figure out how much your baby actually needs and adjust its supply for the future. Here is a good article about how it all works. If you're feeling uncomfortable, try pumping just enough to relieve the discomfort, but don't try to "empty" the breast. I think you'll see that your supply eventually evens out. HTH!
    Last edited by Pajama Mama; October 9th, 2007 at 07:59 AM.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I agree with the pp...it's different for everyone. My ds is 8 wks old, and I still have random let-downs and still leak (A LOT). As for the 5 minute feedings, I would try to increase those...stimulate your lo during the daytime to remind her that food is still available. You can stimulate the baby by stroking her cheek, foot, side, etc. Sometimes, it requires you to remove her clothes, etc. I know that it sounds mean, but it helps. My lactation nurses told me to do this, and it helped immensely with my engorgement, leaking, let-downs, everything.